We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gold Coast vs Brisbane & Gold Coast airport.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
1,250 posts
Save Topic
Gold Coast vs Brisbane & Gold Coast airport.

Is the Gold Coast airport the same airport as Brisbane airport ?

I bought my arrival and departure at Gold Coast airport staying for 3 nights but I wish to visit Brisbane for a day visit or 1 night stay. Is it convenient to get there ? If I am not into Theme Parks or water activities, Which shall I need more time ? Brisbane or Gold Coast ? Is 2:1 or 1:2 ratio ?

Mentioned in this post
Gold Coast Airport
Gold Coast Airport
Bilinga, Australia
Brisbane
Brisbane
Brisbane Region, Australia
Gold Coast
Gold Coast
Queensland, Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
12,448 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gold Coast vs Brisbane & Gold Coast airport.

They are separate airports, about 1.5 hours drive from each other. You can get a train from the Gold Coast (not the gold coast airprt) to Brisbane, If you look on the right hand side of this page it will give you specific info how to catch it.

There is more to the coast than theme parks.... it's all to do with your own interests. You need to let us know your specific interests, otherwise we will just be throwing random ideas at you.

You can do a day in Brisbane from the coast without staying... it's about a 1.5 hour train trip.

Mentioned in this post
Gold Coast
Gold Coast
Queensland, Australia
Brisbane
Brisbane
Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
1,250 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Gold Coast vs Brisbane & Gold Coast airport.

TQ very much. Being from a poorly Asian country, I will like to see anything well done, special or constructed like buildings, structures, shopping malls, theatre, cinemas, garden/parks, harbours, scenery, nice beach etc

Popular roadside or inside cafes, I nearly forgot.

Singapore
Level Contributor
2,375 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gold Coast vs Brisbane & Gold Coast airport.

For a quick overview of Brisbane, I recommend a full trip on the CityCat ferries down the Brisbane river. You can start from the Northshore Hamilton terminal to the University of Queensland. The ride which takes about an hour in each direction offers great views of Brisbane downtown. You may also get down at the Southbank park, have food at one of the several food outlets/restaurant there and relax for some time,

Mentioned in this post
Brisbane
Brisbane
The Brisbane River
The Brisbane River
3,605 Reviews
Brisbane, Australia
Hamilton Island
Hamilton Island
Whitsunday Islands, Australia
Queensland
Queensland
Australia
gold coast
Level Contributor
15 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gold Coast vs Brisbane & Gold Coast airport.

I liked the Gold Coast better. Brisbane is probably better for interesting buildings but you could do that in a day. Whale watching on the GC is really big at the moment and if you want to do it I just found the cheapest company on the coast rivers.net.au/gold-coast-whale_watching.htm I went last season and loved it but I spent $98 for the same tour on the same boat. Apparently it has just gotten really competitive so they have lowered the prices.

Mentioned in this post
Gold Coast
Gold Coast
Queensland, Australia
Brisbane
Brisbane
Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
1,250 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Gold Coast vs Brisbane & Gold Coast airport.

TQ,

ab58,

I will check as you mentioned but I found Greyhound bus that cost AUD20(must book online) and the journey takes less than 2 hrs. Do you know how much will the train+bus and time needed ?

Catherine T,

Yes, the link showed the price to be much cheaper than in New Zealand too. Problem is my time is limited and there is no guarantee whales can be sighted. If not, they put you to another tour and refund is mentioned. It's a 3 hours trip, from your last experience how much time did you spend on sea and beside waiting for whales, are there any other nice sights of scenery ?

MRahul,

Is there any website for booking or I just turn up ? What times are the ferrys ?

Edited: 1:24 pm, June 15, 2013
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
12,448 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gold Coast vs Brisbane & Gold Coast airport.

The train from the Gold Coast costs around $19, if you have a Go-Card its $12.81 (each way) the train takes about 1hr 15miins from Nerang to Roma Street station. I don't know how long it takes to get to the station at the Gold Coast, perhaps start a new thread about bus information down there?

Mentioned in this post
Gold Coast
Gold Coast
Queensland, Australia
Nerang
Nerang
Gold Coast, Australia
Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
1,250 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Gold Coast vs Brisbane & Gold Coast airport.

TQ,

Is Nerang nearer to airport or Surfers Paradise ? How to I get to/out of Nerang ? By translink bus ?

Mentioned in this post
Nerang
Nerang
Gold Coast, Australia
Surfers Paradise
Surfers Paradise
Gold Coast, Australia
8. Re: Gold Coast vs Brisbane & Gold Coast airport.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, June 17, 2014