We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! Hotel with security for schoolies week gold coast 2013

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Topic
Help! Hotel with security for schoolies week gold coast 2013

I'm a Granny who needs help please. Granddaughter and friends interested in going to Gold Coast for Schoolies Week next year. They are all gorgeous, well behaved girls. I would like to ensure they stay in a good hotel where there is security.Any advice would be gratefully received.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,463 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help! Hotel with security for schoolies week gold coast 2013

Even the best girls & boys turn bad during schoolies week. If they were truly good, they'd have no interest in going to this nest of alcoholism, violence and lack of respect for the social contract.

Perhaps consider treating them to a trip somewhere exotic and overseas, it'll be much more enlightening! Chiang Mai in Thailand perhaps?!

Many hotels will bolster their security during the schoolies period & some will not accept school leavers, no matter how well behaved they promise to be.

Surfers Paradise...
Destination Expert
for Gold Coast, Surfers Paradise, Byron Bay
Level Contributor
6,059 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help! Hotel with security for schoolies week gold coast 2013

Totally disagree with the above. Everbody gotta do schoolies once ;)

Try the Outrigger Surfers Paradise, Hilton Surfers Paradise and Chevron Rennaisance.

If they dont accept Schoolies then another good one is Grand Chancellor.

Good Luck and they will love it Im sure.

Brisbane Aus
Level Contributor
676 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help! Hotel with security for schoolies week gold coast 2013

Both my sons attended schoolies staying in different apartment blocks. Both places had their own security. Security is everywhere in the streets.

Many students in Brisbane book through Schoolies.com and I know the bookings are already open so it may be a case of taking the leftovers.

Not sure how you'd go trying to book privately as many places do not allow schoolies to book a place. Some people try and book in the parents name but most places are pretty wise to this now.

The other piece of advice I'd give you is to find out where their friends are staying. That way they can stay in the hotel grounds and have fun without going out into the street. Half the fun is being together and moving in between apartments. They may be locked out of accommodation in other buildings.

Good luck. My boys survived and said they were glad they did it but would not do it again.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Help! Hotel with security for schoolies week gold coast 2013

Oh dear!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Help! Hotel with security for schoolies week gold coast 2013

Thank you for the positive replies, greatly appreciated.

Surfers Paradise...
Destination Expert
for Gold Coast, Surfers Paradise, Byron Bay
Level Contributor
6,059 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help! Hotel with security for schoolies week gold coast 2013

Good advice from Buck above.

Do they have friends going ? and where are they staying

Try ringing some of the places I suggested

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,134 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help! Hotel with security for schoolies week gold coast 2013

My son is booked for Schoolies at the GC for next year. They booked on schoolies.com the day the bookings opened a few months back lol, but there's probably still availabilty there? They wanted the best apartment, prime position.

My daughter & a group of 10 friends who are mostly non drinkers didn't want to go to the GC 2 years ago for schoolies & booked a large holiday home on the NSW South Coast via Stayz. The property they booked with were aware they were a schoolies group (time of year kind of gives it away!)

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Help! Hotel with security for schoolies week gold coast 2013

Continued thanks for your suggestions. Will ring hotels listed. The group have considered a different venue, but decided (at this stage ) to go ahead with GC. I will be glad when it's all over, though don't deny them any fun, they all work hard and deserve to enjoy themselves. I am confident that they will have a great time and their behaviour will be exemplary!

Level Contributor
1,651 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Help! Hotel with security for schoolies week gold coast 2013

I think it is not necessarily their behaviour that counts - it's those around them that will matter. As long as they are constantly aware of their surroundings, will get out ASAP of 'unsafe' situations, etc., then, they should have a good and safe time.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
612 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help! Hotel with security for schoolies week gold coast 2013

I have had to visit Surfers Paradise during Schoolies several times over recent years to attend conferences. The reputation is not as bad as made out.

Policing is strong and any troublemakers are quickly & quietly moved on.

I disagree with the first post, it is different from my experience.

I do agree with Buck.

Do remember that young people will be more outgoing when not under home observation. This does not mean that they will be anti-scial. A minority may but they are the exception.

I suggest that you place trust in your grandaughter and her firends.