We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Australia Zoo vs Currumbin??

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
32 posts
117 reviews
Save Topic
Australia Zoo vs Currumbin??

Hi guys,

we will be visiting your fair land in Oct and we are very keen to visit Australia Zoo, but having read lots of posts on this fabulous forum, am wondering whether Currumbin would be a better bet?? Daughter (9) will probably want to hold a koala, but is quite keen to have a wombat encounter (have managed to steer her towards a cheaper option than tigers or elephants). She is an animal nut - are two visits too much? Are both parks similar? Is one better? Could she do the koala thing at Aust Zoo??

Looking forward to your advice,

thanks

Matakanamum

Comet, Qld
Level Contributor
576 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Australia Zoo vs Currumbin??

It's a very long time since I've been to Currumbin, so I won't comment on its current manifestation, but when I was much younger I used to love it. I imagane there are similarities and differences between the 2.

For your daughter, there are elephants and tigers at Australia Zoo - yes I know that seems very unAustralian, but they're there. You can hand feed a piece of fruit to the elephants if you are prepared to line up for it. And my older, more cynical self just had to do it. Fantastic experience. While I was in line I put hand cream on (jsut because I needed to). The elephant spent several seconds sniffing my hand before taking my piece of apple. Might help with the photo opportunity. (They do take expensive commercial photos as well.)

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
25,533 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Australia Zoo vs Currumbin??

Have recently been to Australia Zoo (January) and Currumbin last year. Whilst Currumbin is ok, Australia Zoo knocks socks off it. Our 2 girls loved AZ, much better set up than Currumbin, great shows, Australian as well as exotic animals. The food court was really good at AZ and really bad at Currumbin. I think I would go the extra mile (or kilometres) and head to AZ. Although you could do both depending on where you are staying and how much time you have as they are both unique.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
32 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Australia Zoo vs Currumbin??

Hi,

thanks so much for your prompt reply - great tip about the hand cream too, thanks.

Cheers,

Matakanamum

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
32 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Australia Zoo vs Currumbin??

Hi Cassnu,

thanks heaps for your prompt reply and for all the great up-to-date info - really helpful and makes our decision pretty easy. Do you know if Aust Zoo let you touch / stand next to / cuddle a koala??

Cheers,

Matakanamum

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
25,533 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Australia Zoo vs Currumbin??

I think they do the same as Currumbin, organised and structured photos with a koala which you purchase from them, although you can probably take your own at the same time (check their website as I'm sure it will tell you). Both places allow you to wander among the kangaroos and feed them etc. I just think AZ had more to offer.

Surfers Paradise...
Destination Expert
for Gold Coast, Surfers Paradise, Byron Bay
Level Contributor
6,036 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Australia Zoo vs Currumbin??

Whilst Currumbin is certainly recommended it is really not in the same class as Australia Zoo which is world class.

That said, it doesn't claim to be Australia Zoo or have the same price tag.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
32 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Australia Zoo vs Currumbin??

Hi Cassnu,

thanks - I have trawled both websites, but there is so much on the Aust Zoo one it's a bit hard to find small details like this (it could be just me, lol), so appreciate your feedback - the decision is made Aust Zoo it is!!

Thanks again,

Matakanamum

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
32 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Australia Zoo vs Currumbin??

Hi Beach8um,

thanks for your reply - good to have such a positive and strong opionion - we will be paying the bucks and visiting Steve's legacy.

cheers,

Matakanamum

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
381 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Australia Zoo vs Currumbin??

I know you said you didn't want to go for one of the expensive "encounters" at Australia Zoo, but I have to tell you that the Tiger Experience is AMAZING! My sister and I took Mum on Mothers Day, and we got about half an hour in with a gorgeous tiger, patting her and having a whole big set of photos done.

It was $500, but that included entry to the Zoo (for up to 4 people), and all the photos, including 8 photos that are poster size.

BUT....I still wanted to do the Wombat one after, didn't have time! I think the Wombats would be great too :)

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
32 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Australia Zoo vs Currumbin??

Hi Odyssey,

thanks for your feedback - I'm glad you had such a fabulous time with the tiger! It does sound like a once in a lifetime experience.

Cheers,

Matakanamum