We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Diving Port Stephen or Byron Bay

Which Gold Coast hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
UK
Level Contributor
30 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Diving Port Stephen or Byron Bay

Want to do some diving at either Port Stephen area or Byron Bay on the way up to the Barrier Reef anyone dived this area which is best unfortunately do not have time to do both

Level Contributor
712 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Diving Port Stephen or Byron Bay

Hello - I haven't been to Byron Bay (which I hear can be very good!) but Port Stephen has all the dolphins! You can shore dive at Fly Point Marine Park (watch your tides) or go out with one of the local dive companies - I think we used Pro Dive Nelson Bay. There are several islands in the area, but one of the main items of interest are sponge gardens. This is not Great Barrier Reef diving, but water is usually really clear, a bit on the chilly side but really nice diving.

UK
Level Contributor
30 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Diving Port Stephen or Byron Bay

Hi BigFishLittleFish

Thanks again for the info. I am curious I believe you live in the US but you are a really great expert of Aus do you take lots of holidays or have you lived there?

Level Contributor
712 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Diving Port Stephen or Byron Bay

Poppy, I am an industry professional and certified Aust/Nz agent, and own a US based Dive and Adventure Wholesale company called Oz Dive. I am in Aust 4 times a year /over 3 months total so consider myself a temp resident. I have been diving for years, and as it is my business, must check out all the dive operators, hotels etc on a regular basis, thus my many personal opinions and viewpoints.