We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Gladstone to Port Douglas

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
837 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Gladstone to Port Douglas

Hi,

We are planning on driving from Gladstone to Port Douglas. We are thinking of driving to Airlie Beach, staying a nite then heading onto PD. Is this realistic? Is it about 5 hrs from Gladstone to Airlie, and another 5 odd to Port Douglas?

We are traveling from Gladstone as we are staying on Heron Island. We might consider flying back to Brisbane and then up to Cairns, but I think I'd like to drive?

P

Central Queensland
Level Contributor
206 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Driving from Gladstone to Port Douglas

Hi Pauline

I said I wasnt an expert and my husband just proved me right! Flights from Rockhampton with Qantas apparently are still classed as 'milk run' and stop Mackay and Townsville. Virgin Blue out of Rockhampton fly via Brisbane to Cairns! Sorry for confusion.

Luggage limit on aircraft out of Gladstone is 20 KG according to Qantas web site.

Driving time to Rocky from Gladstone is 1.5 hours. The airport there is much bigger than G and have all security checks etc.

As a tourist once myself there are some interesting things to do in or around Rockhampton. For starters the landscape will be totally different to Ireland! Ther is quite a good Aboriginal Cultural Centre there called 'The Dreamtime Centre' and really cool caves just outside the city. Also a crocodile farm and historical village. Try a GOOGLE and see what you think.

Regards

Chris

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
837 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Driving from Gladstone to Port Douglas

Thanks Chris,

I checked out flights with qantas, there is one from Rockhampton on 20th Aug, that takes 3hrs 15mins to Cairns there are 2 stops -Mackay & Townsville. Its AUD$594 for 2 people.

I think I might go with this one

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,364 posts
1,539 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Driving from Gladstone to Port Douglas

Cool, I'm glad your doing this...excellent advice Chris !

Mackay is also very interesting and well worth a stopover to explore.

If you do get a chance, go down to the marina as there are some good restaurants along the waterfront.

Central Queensland
Level Contributor
206 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Driving from Gladstone to Port Douglas

I'm trying Ellemay!! Hate to give inaccurate advice though.

This area is all very familiar to me Pauline, so any way I can help let me know. Re: Mackay there is some very interesting rainforest accessible fron there called Eungella National Park.If you have time worth a visit. The new marina, though small is quite good. Actually the Gladstone marina is very picturesque also, but you will see that if you are taking the CAT to Heron.

Hope you have fun planning.

Chris

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
837 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Driving from Gladstone to Port Douglas

We are going to just stay on the flight from Rockhampton to Cairns. I know its sort of a shame to miss out on other places but we only have 4 weeks in total in Oz and I dont want to squeeze loads of stuff in.

We are going to spend a week in Port Douglas diving, do a trip up to Daintree etc and just live the ozzie lifestyle!

We will be back to oz at some stage of our lifes so I can get to all the places I didnt see on this trip.

We travelled around Italy for 4 weeks and went to 9 cities, it was only when we got home and looked through our pictures that we realised how much we'd actually done, we had forgetten about tons of stuff! So we always make sure we pace ourselves even if it means missing out on a few places.

Our itinerary is;

4 nites Cambodia

5 nites Sydney

6 nites Adelaide - Port Lincoln (3 spent on R Fox white shark expediation)

1 nite Gladstone

5 nites Heron Island

1 nite Rockhampton

7 nites Port Douglas

3 nites Singapore

So its pretty packed already!

Px

south east england
Level Contributor
303 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Driving from Gladstone to Port Douglas

just like to say im doing the same thing and have been checking it out for months and you can fly from gladstone to cairns via brisbane and you do not have to stop at thousands of destinations on the way just check the flight when you book I have also checked rockhampton to cairns and they all go via brisbane im afraid but they are only short stops in brisbane so not too bad and not expensive either. The tilt or sunlander trains are alternatives but the tilt does not have sleeper cabins where as sunlander does and takes forever! The actual driving time from Gladstone to Port Douglas is around 14 and a half hours but you could break the journey up somewhere near townsville or yes Airlie Beach is a good option.

17. Re: Driving from Gladstone to Port Douglas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:21 am, September 12, 2009