We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Somewhere good to stay around Bundy?

Surfers Paradise...
Destination Expert
for Gold Coast, Surfers Paradise, Byron Bay
Level Contributor
6,078 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Somewhere good to stay around Bundy?

I've got a few weeks hols coming up in February and I'm staying on the Sunshine Coast.

I thought I might go for a cruise up to bundy and pay homage to the factory for a night or two.

Any ideas on where to stay or other must sees?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,448 posts
1,576 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Somewhere good to stay around Bundy?

Hi B/B,

Why not venture up further to the Town of 1770 and Angus Waters - a must do is seeing Lady Musgrave Island.

See links below. tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g255074-d497…

Where we stayed.

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g494979-d661…

We sailed up from Mooloolaba to Bundaberg and got caught in a huge storm and took cover at Bundaberg Marina - the storm lasted for a few days so we hired a car and drove up to Town of 1770 which is only approx 1.5hr drive. Its well worth of effort to see before they develop it more....its a little gem !!

EM.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Somewhere good to stay around Bundy?

The sea turtles will be hatching in February at Mons Repo (15km away from Bundy). It's an amazing sight to see them making their way back to the ocean.

bundabergregion.info/turtles/turtles_home.cfm

derm.qld.gov.au/parks/mon-repos/about.html

Surfers Paradise...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,078 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Somewhere good to stay around Bundy?

Thanks EM for the suggestion about 1770, but I only want to be away from the Sunshine Coast for a night and really want to do the Bundaberg Rum factory tour.

And I had heard about the turtles too templc74. Thats exactly what I was thinking of doing. I will check out your links. Have you done it before?

Sunny Queensland...
Level Contributor
2,372 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Somewhere good to stay around Bundy?

Best place to stay would be Bargara-quite a few blocks of units and Feb shouldn't be too bad.Reasonably close to Mon Repos.

I have stayed at Manta,The Point and Bargara Blue.All good.Can book through wotif but always check their own website or call.

Mon Repos.Some nights you will have to wait.The night we went we were on the beach soon after dark for turtle hatching and when we finished everyone else had gone onto the beach and we were offered a second trip to see a turtle laying eggs.so hard to predict.Worth it if you are in to nature.

The Bargara hotel and Kacy's restaurant both good eating places.

Edited: 7:54 pm, January 16, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,866 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Somewhere good to stay around Bundy?

LOL Beachbum my Gold Coast friends go to the Sunshine Coast for their holidays and my Suncoast friends go to the Gold Coast for their's.

I agree I would stay at Bargara, been awhile since I have been, however I do recall Mon Repos and Elliot Heads were nice beaches and yes the turtles were laying and hatching while we were there which was awesome.

Also a detour on the way back to Woodgate brings you to a sleepy village on the beach and a national park.

have fun!

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
2,838 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Somewhere good to stay around Bundy?

I really like Bargara, top little spot. Maybe not so little as was growing last few times I stopped. Good pub. Only 15 k from Bundy.

Surfers Paradise...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,078 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Somewhere good to stay around Bundy?

It's good to have a change of scenary Surfoz - you know what they say! (Actually I grew up on the Sunshine Coast so its like going home anyway)

Does anyone know the story with turtles? What time should i go there? I suppose if you go to the turtles you miss out on going for dinner/drinks?

I was thinking of getting to Bundy around lunch time and checking into motel at Bargara, then do the Bundy tour. Then see the turtles that night. Return to Sunshine Coast following day - after checking out the weird craters near Bundy lol

P.S Thanks everyone for your input thus far.....

Edited: 5:58 am, January 17, 2010
Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
2,838 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Somewhere good to stay around Bundy?

If you are driving out in the am consider breakfast at a place I cannot remember the name of. Great help lol.

In Childers, northern end, olde worlde cafe looking place on the right looking north, or left heading south. 2nd best breakfast we had in 2 years of touring Queesland. Though was a couple of years ago now so things can change. Not cheap but I still remember so was good at the time.

Sunny Queensland...
Level Contributor
2,372 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Somewhere good to stay around Bundy?

The turtles are after dark.We had an early dinner~6pm and then went out.Depends on how many turn up that night as you are arranged into groups and taken out in order.If you turn up late there may be quite a wait but if not many are there you may only wait minutes.

Surfers Paradise...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,078 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Somewhere good to stay around Bundy?

Thanks Verdant - I might just do that!