We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Orange NSW - unsophisticated country town living in the past

Which Orange hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney
Level Contributor
2 posts
146 reviews
Save Topic
Orange NSW - unsophisticated country town living in the past

This town is a University town, based in the last century, trying to be touristic, trying to be wine country...

Wine is average .. Hard to find a decent wine. Wineries are unsophisticated (when they are open - who cares about tourists on long weekends - we need to stay closed). Nothing to eat on them, nowhere pleasing to sit even they have beautiful views.

The town is a sleep and mostly closed. One decent cafe and a few good restaurants (if you are lucky to find them open).

Long way to go to be a Hunter Valley or Barosa ... Long way.

Not coming back.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,790 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Orange NSW - unsophisticated country town living in the past

Fair enough your view. I don't see why it has to be another 'Hunter' of another 'Barossa'.

I don't agree with it, and I don't think you labelling the entire township is 'unsophisticated' is remotely true. Your loss.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,123 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Orange NSW - unsophisticated country town living in the past

You must have been to another Orange than the one I've been to many times over the years as what you're describing bears no resemblance! Planning another visit later in the year.

Ballina, Australia
Level Contributor
939 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Orange NSW - unsophisticated country town living in the past

Orange is Orange. If you want la-te -da (and the crowds that go with it) go to Hunter Valley

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,047 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Orange NSW - unsophisticated country town living in the past

Sorry, but what does a 'sophisticated' winery look like?

If, by unsophisticated you mean that their main purpose is to produce and sell wine rather than t-shirts, olive oil, cookbooks and souvenir glasses and that the winemaker has time to come and chat about the latest vintage, then unsophisticated sounds perfect to me.

If you want fancy restaurants, stay in Sydney. Wine lovers go wine tasting to taste wine. That's it. Orange is a great country town. If living in the past means you can find a parking spot in the main street then I applaud their 20th century standards.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
5,732 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Orange NSW - unsophisticated country town living in the past

Yep! Terrible place. Nothing to recommend it whatsoever.

That's why Orange Food Week is booked out a month in advance, restaurants like Lolli Redini win coveted awards, wines from the district are internationally respected & it's one of the fastest growing areas in the country, with professionals & families moving to take up positions in technology, medical, hospitality & education, while enjoying the clean air, fresh environment & lifestyle. And good coffee.

All only 4 hours or less drive from the "big smoke".

Good thing we don't all share the same views.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,788 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Orange NSW - unsophisticated country town living in the past

Sounds about right Bokhara. I suspect the OP is just trying to keep property prices down for when they're ready to move out there... :)

7. Re: Orange NSW - unsophisticated country town living in the past

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 6:35 am, August 06, 2015
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
10,481 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Orange NSW - unsophisticated country town living in the past

Like any place west of the mountains summer can be a killer ... hot dry days, can't be avoided.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
5,732 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Orange NSW - unsophisticated country town living in the past

And a snow clad winter wonderland last week.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,996 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Orange NSW - unsophisticated country town living in the past

this is like that post last week about Karrinji...

Its amusing when city folk leave the safe confines of the city boundary and they are faced with places that are just a little less hung up on how things look.

Get answers to your questions about Orange