We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

moving to newcastle next year from cape town

cape town
3 posts
Save Topic
moving to newcastle next year from cape town

Hi

I'll be moving to newcastle next year where i will be working at newcastle university, probably for 6 or months. I am a student, altho I wont be studying at the univeristy, and being from South Africa, I am on a serious budget. What are the affordable and somewhat nice subsurbs to stay in Newcastle, close to the university?

The university website suggests a number of places, but I'm not sure which ones to choose in terms of afforadibility, if I'm looking at a price range of $50 - %60 per week ($80 incl. electricity etc.)

Also, are any of the suburbs near the beach affordable e.g. Bar Beach, the junction, Newcastle Beach, The hill?

Okay, thats a lot of questions. Hope you can help.

Thanks

Lameez

Newcastle Australia
Level Contributor
40 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: moving to newcastle next year from cape town

Hi,

You might try the above suburbs and Cooks Hill. I suggest you email Robinsons's Real estate or Walkoms Real Estate for info...they have many inner city lettings.

What are your transport arrangements around Newcastle?The University has a railway station and buses but is some 7km from the City Centre, so if you plan to use public transport it would be sensible to locate close to a railway station (check City Rail website) or major direct bus route (check State Transit/Newcastle Buses and ferries website). If you are keen it is a relatively flat cycle route and Newcastle's climate is fairly benign.

Hope this helps.

Regards

David

2. Re: moving to newcastle next year from cape town

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, August 25, 2009