We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beaches near Sydney

Surrey, England
Level Contributor
11 posts
204 reviews
Save Topic
Beaches near Sydney

We're going to be visiting Australia in Jan/Feb 2007 and would like to end our stay with a few days at or near a beach, up to 3 hours' drive from Sydney. We don't have children and so really don't want a family-oriented hotel. We do want to be able to walk to restaurants and, ideally, shops. We would also like there to be a decent sized pool. We're looking for a 4* equivalent hotel, (or a really lovely B&B), and prefer small and friendly to a large chain, but would sacrifice this for location.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,191 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beaches near Sydney

Perhaps look at Crowne Plaza Terrigal? I know big chain but the only one I can think of that might fit your location...there are other properties in Terigal that might be OK

Try Feb as we are in the middle of major hols right thru Jan...and accom choices now are limited..

Sydney
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Beaches near Sydney

I would suggest that you try Avoca Beach. It is only one hour from Sydney and is a bit more up market than Terrigal.

Australia
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beaches near Sydney

I agree with the above post.

Avoca Beach is absolutely beautiful.

Look up: www.rileys.com.au

www.avocapalmsresort.com.au

You may also enjoy Nelsons Bay.

Look up: www.nelsonbaygetaway.com.au

There is also a B&B I think it's called Thurlow's.....you may try to look it up also.

Cheers Jo

Newcastle Australia
Level Contributor
40 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beaches near Sydney

Try Newcastle.

the website is www. visitnewcastle.com.au

Newcastle Australia
Level Contributor
40 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beaches near Sydney

Check out www.visitnewcastle.com.au. Noahs hotel is right on the beach and there are a few B&B's nearby.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,297 posts
1,478 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beaches near Sydney

Here are some other suggestions to add to your list:

Peppers Anchorage - Port Stephens - 5 star www.peppers.com.au

Kims Resort - Toowoon Bay 5 star - www.kims.com.au

Noah's on the Beach - Newcastle 3-4 star

Shoal Bay Spa and Resort - Port Stephens 4 star

Araluen House - Hardys Bay - www.araluencp.com.au - house

Pick off the bunch for beachfront luxury - Kims - approx 1.5hrs north of Sydney.

7. Re: Beaches near Sydney

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:18 am, August 22, 2009