We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what to do from 9am to 3pm while waiting to board a cruise

Ozi
Level Contributor
69 posts
1 review
Save Topic
what to do from 9am to 3pm while waiting to board a cruise

Hi,

I an taking a group of mature people (60 -70 yrs young )to a cruise boarding at Newcastle harbour. We arrive at Newcastle airport at 8:30am but cannot board until 2:30 pm. Any suggestion where to go etc from 9 to 3 ? thank you very much

Nobbys Head and Breakwall
Historic Sites, Piers & Boardwalks, Scenic Walking Areas, Points of Interest & Landmarks, Lookouts
Blackbutt Reserve
Nature & Wildlife Areas
Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
230 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what to do from 9am to 3pm while waiting to board a cruise

Hi SalsaOzi - first some questions and then may be able to advise - how many in the group ? do you have transport or have you organised coach, minibus etc ?

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
422 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what to do from 9am to 3pm while waiting to board a cruise

I presume you have organised transfers to the harbour, it's a bit of a drive, so maybe a nice morning tea/brunch at the Wharf district (HoneySuckle), and a walk along the Harbour to view the ships.

If you are a little energetic, you could then walk upto the Breakwall at Nobby's, and Fort Scratchley

http://www.fortscratchley.com.au/

And there is a spectacular view of Newcastle and Fort Scratchley form the Pilot Station if it's open that day you visit.

visitnewcastle.com.au/pages/…

Should take care of a few hours!

Mentioned in this post
Fort Scratchley
Fort Scratchley
627 Reviews
Newcastle, Australia
Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
422 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what to do from 9am to 3pm while waiting to board a cruise

Here's when the Pilot station open:

Pasted from

http://www.visitnewcastle.com.au/events.asp

Nobbys Lighthouse Headland - Open to public

Date: 1st and 3rd Sunday of each month 2012

Contact Details: Free Entry open- 10:00am - 4:00pm

Take a stroll along Newcastle harbour breakwall and continue up the hill to Nobbys Lighthouse for breath taking views of our beautiful city! Nobbys Lighthouse is now open for free public access on the 1st & 3rd Sunday of each month!

Best parking is at Nobbys Beach carpark!

Mentioned in this post
Nobbys Lighthouse
Nobbys Lighthouse
128 Reviews
Newcastle, Australia
Nobbys Beach
Nobbys Beach
581 Reviews
Newcastle, Australia
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
612 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what to do from 9am to 3pm while waiting to board a cruise

41Mum is correct about the riverfront etc. but this will not fill 5 hours.

You do not say how many are in your group. Preumably it is enough at least for a minibus. The age group should be reasonable mobile.

Because you are arriving at the airport I suggest you investigate going up to Nelson Bay for a couple of hours beside Port Stephens.

Mentioned in this post
Port Stephens
Port Stephens
Greater Newcastle, Australia
Ozi
Level Contributor
69 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: what to do from 9am to 3pm while waiting to board a cruise

Thank you to all the responses. We are a group of 12 arriving to the airport at 8:30. I think we will hire a minibus and drive around. It is a Tuesday in March.

All are mobile and just Mum does not walk very far...

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
230 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: what to do from 9am to 3pm while waiting to board a cruise

"I think I will hire a minibus and drive around" - may not be as simple as it sounds - for a start (a) you would probably need a 20 seater when you take all your luggage into account (b) 99.9% certain there would be no 20 seaters just sitting at the airport waiting to be hired so therefore your group has to get from point A to B to pick one up (and then drop back). Much easier thing to do would be to look at hiring a bus with driver. Another thing to consider is where you board the ship is a long way from the CBD

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
422 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: what to do from 9am to 3pm while waiting to board a cruise

I don't know why all the Sydney people on these forums suggest to go to Port Stephens when visiting newcastle, rather than Newcastle itself!!

lovely as it is, Nelson bay is very touristy/busy, and is probably more suited to a longer beach-type holiday where you can do tours and relax or go shopping etc.

please take a look at the link i provided and i am sure you will fill in your time.

there is also a tram tour 1 hour, that gives a bit of history

http://famous-tram.com.au/tours/index.html

Mentioned in this post
Port Stephens
Port Stephens
Greater Newcastle, Australia
8. Re: what to do from 9am to 3pm while waiting to board a cruise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:15 am, July 21, 2013