We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Unexpected Christmas Stay

Brisbane
3 posts
Save Topic
Unexpected Christmas Stay

My husband has decided at the last minuted to drive to Newcastle (From Qld) for Christmas. We have a 13yo son, but have secured a 2brm apartment at Quest in Hunter St..so that is Ok.

We have no family there..so would like to try and eat somewhere out on Christmas Day..talk about last minute!

Can any locals give me some advice where to try to start...eg bit hotels first..Crowne..Sebel I guess..anywhere else I could try that would do Christmas Lunch/Dinner that's not booked out already? (ok I know hard task!!)

We've never been to Newcastle before..so am totally unfamiliar with it...other than Google maps..and here of course!

Jane

Nobbys Head and Breakwall
Historic Sites, Piers & Boardwalks, Scenic Walking Areas, Points of Interest & Landmarks, Lookouts
Blackbutt Reserve
Nature & Wildlife Areas
Broadford, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,594 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Unexpected Christmas Stay

Hmmm. Well if it was me, I'd hand it all over to said Husband and tell him to sort it out.

Mattara Hotel does a Christmas lunch $75pp. I guess it depends on your budget.

Milanos on the lake 30 mins south of Newcastle is $140pp.The Crowne/Sebel is $145pp.

I guess you will have to phone/email around and see what's left.

For something a bit different you could try a feel good option:

samaritans.org.au/page151/Special-Events----…

Mentioned in this post
Mattara Hotel
Mattara Hotel
145 Reviews
Newcastle, Australia
Newcastle N S W
Level Contributor
920 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Unexpected Christmas Stay

Hi Jane

Quest is a good hotel/serviced apartments but there is nothing around it worthwhile as in the centre of Newcastle is full of empty shops and what not but that`s a topic for another time.

If those places mentioned in the above posts are a bit expensive try this place

wwww.westsnewcastle.com.au ....Its a licenced club about a 10 min drive from Quest and I know they do a xmas dinner menu not sure if you have to book though.

You don`t mention how long your in town for but if you need anything else answered please ask

Jamie

Brisbane
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Unexpected Christmas Stay

Thanks for the replies

We are in Newcastle for 5 nights from the 23rd Dec. Looks like pretty bad timing all round.

Most restaurants are closing Christmas Eve, and not reopening until Tues., some until the Thursday.

We have been advised there is a Woolworths nearby, and there is a kitchen in the apartment..so I guess it'll be cold cuts and salad!!

I've seen there there are two KFC's nearby - oh the delights!!! Can't wait..sounds like a great town.

Thanks for the advice about the club..I might try and give them a call..you never know! Even the long term weather forecast is gloomy :)

Newcastle N S W
Level Contributor
920 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Unexpected Christmas Stay

You should get in touch with Wests,they have been doing an xmas menu for a few years now and is most popular as people do away with cooking the big xmas feast at home.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
659 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Unexpected Christmas Stay

Only 1 KFC nearby now - but it is the 8th Wonder of the World.

Wests is excellent with a good selection of eating places. You'll have a great time in Newcastle - plenty to do. Great beaches, Port Stephens within an hour north, Hunter Valley Vineyards not too far away either. Stroll along the foreshore and watch the working harbour. SOme top places to eat and drink all the way along.

Mentioned in this post
Port Stephens
Port Stephens
Greater Newcastle, Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,657 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Unexpected Christmas Stay

mmm...goodness you are very obliging and understanding.

However in saying that have you paid for the accom as perhaps you could change to one of the nicer places along the coast which would be nicer and cater more for Xmas fare and your son can go to the beach, meet other kids etc.

7. Re: Unexpected Christmas Stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:15 am, February 05, 2014