We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Week in Newcastle

Sydney
Level Contributor
123 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
Week in Newcastle

We're going to spend a week in Newcastle. My husband is a keen surfer and cyclist. Also like nice eateries. What area would be the best to stay?

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
843 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Week in Newcastle

Newcastle is not very big compared to Sydney. It is easy to negotiate your way around.

What type of accommodation are you looking for?

The food hubs are, Beaumont Street Hamilton, Darby Street Cooks Hill, Honeysuckle on the harbour and The Junction. Hamilton has apartments and and a few motels, no high end hotels, though Boulevarde on Beaumont looks quite nice and it is only 5-10mins by car to the beach.

Newcastle Beach has a few options in Hotels and there are a few nice eateries up there with beach views.

It depends on your own requirements but just remember, everything is resonably close only minutes away by car and as a Sydneysider you would appreciate that to be very close.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
843 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Week in Newcastle

I just read a couple of reviews on Boulevarde on Beaumont unless things have changed drastically, I withdraw my suggestion to stay there.

Sorry.

Sydney
Level Contributor
123 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Week in Newcastle

Thanks for the recommendations will have a look.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
2,064 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Week in Newcastle

Hi there

You might consider the Crowne Plaza.

Kind Regards

Merran

Terrigal, Australia
Level Contributor
2,396 posts
648 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Week in Newcastle

Hi,

As an ex-Novacastrian I feel qualified to make a comment, I have similar interests to your husband, check out;

www.users.hunterlink.net.au/~magsb/TouristInfo.htm for maps of extensive cycleways in Newcastle,

www.coastalwatch.com.au for surf reports and beach cams. There are many beach options - obviously dependant upon weather/winds etc.

Also, from personal experience give Boulevarde on Beaumont a complete MISS!

Safe Travels !

Edited: 1:42 am, November 28, 2011
6. Re: Week in Newcastle

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, August 29, 2013