We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Areas to stay in Newcastle?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
110 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Areas to stay in Newcastle?

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone has any recommendations on areas to stay in Newcastle? We're doing a show at the Entertainment Area, and am looking for a hotel/motel that is:

- convenient to get to (doesn't need to be close, we'll have a car, but would like it to be a direct-ish route)

- plenty of food options in the area (not fussy, we like anything and everything)

- we need to be able to park a large vehicle securely (2.3m tall), so probably something a little further from the city centre would be good.

I really don't know Newcastle at all, so even just suggestions of areas to look at would be great. Thanks :)

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
243 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Areas to stay in Newcastle?

Beaumont Street in Hamilton has lots of great cafes and restaurants. It is about 5 minutes from the Entertainment Centre. Charlestown is about 10-15 minutes away, but has a great newly extended shopping centre, with a popular food area which stays open till late. There are some motels on the main road in Charlestown. Being a local, I have not stayed in any hotels here. If you can't find anything in these areas, let me know. I'll look around for you. Everything in Newcastle is pretty convenient. Be aware that the city does not really have a centre as such, so even a hotel in Newcastle itself would suit you - your only concern would be the parking itself. Mostly nightlife happens in the city if you are interested in that. Hope this helps.

australia
Level Contributor
24 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Areas to stay in Newcastle?

Hi try Tudor Inn Hamilton opposite school so possibly you can park the vechicle in the street, walking distance to Beaumont Street Hamilton, and there is a nice hotel nearby and quite near the Entertainment Centre. Only has undercover parking so may not be ideal. but give them a ring.

Aloha Hotel/Motel further away from the Entertainment area but closer to the beach has parking on the premises not undercover so might suit Near Mary Ellen Hotel , Souths Club. Prince Hotel and little walk to The Junction area that has many coffee shops and eateries

These hotels/motels are only 3 stars no more but are ok.

there are many t hotels in Mayfield which is quite close but there are no eateries nearby..

The Executive Inn New Lambton located at West Leagues Club has parking secure you dont have to eat at the club some nice eateries nearby. May be more expensive than the first two options

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
38 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Areas to stay in Newcastle?

I would highly recommend the "boulevard on Beaumont" in Hamilton.

It is 2 minutes from the Ent. Centre and right in the heart of all the local cafe's. Good 4 star, reasonably new accomodation.

Terrigal, Australia
Level Contributor
2,363 posts
600 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Areas to stay in Newcastle?

Hi,

In relation to ig Red Bronc's suggestion of Boulevard on Beaumont, look B 4 you leap;

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowUserReviews-g1237178-…

central coast nsw
Level Contributor
522 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Areas to stay in Newcastle?

Tudor Inn not recommended due to height restrictions on parking.

Wauchope, Australia
Level Contributor
583 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Areas to stay in Newcastle?

Avoid the West End and the areas closer into Newcastle unless you head to the foreshore. I agree with the others I"d be looking around Hamilton, except the parking may be prohibitive. Jesmond is another option, the food is not great but there are some ëxecutive apartments" with their own parking there that may be a good option.

7. Re: Areas to stay in Newcastle?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:15 am, November 11, 2012