We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My daughter is there now

lvmydogs
Level Contributor
80 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
My daughter is there now

Hi

My daughter just arrived at UNI a couple of weeks ago..She is an international student there for a semester abroad ...we live in Boston.

What I can tell you..from our Skype conversations..is

-SHE LOVES IT!!!

-She is in the International house (dorm) college

-had a little bit of tragedy with bags, internet connection and weather

-is all settled in after 2 weeks of orientation and says that everyone is great..friendly and its easy to get around and meet people.

just wanted to let you know..mom-to-mom!

We are planning our trip to visit in a couple of weeks...too much to see in too little time

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
194 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: My daughter is there now

OK but flying one way from where - Sydney or Newcastle

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
748 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: My daughter is there now

Unless you have a great desire to see something like Fraser Island (which is great), I would consider going down to Melbourne and seeing that or the areas close by. It will be just that little bit different from what you will see elsewhere. The drive from the Whitsundays to Brisbane is fairly long and is easily underestimated; you will probably also have to pay a large one-way fee for car hire.

While you are there try to do a trip outside the city for a day - the Great Ocean Road is doable in a day tour (but very rushed), more realistic might be something like the Mornington Peninsula or Phillip Island, etc.

lvmydogs
Level Contributor
80 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: My daughter is there now

Thank you!

This was my thought as well...I want to see a bit of Melbourne, as well...

My husband almost was transfered there about 10 years ago, and I did a lot of research on living there...alas it didn't happen...but

still want to see it!

I might keep our schedule open,however, and still try to do the Ocean Road..possible spending the night along the way...bookend with a night on either end in Melbourne.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
61 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: My daughter is there now

I think you should hang around Brisbane because you have a pretty hectic schedule, the flight from Brisbane to Melbourne is 3+ hrs. There are plenty of things to see and do around Brisbane, including surfers paradise, noosa.

In a perfect world, save Melbourne for another time because it is a wonderful city with a real vibe. It would be the european city of australia with all its cafes, architecture etc. To do it justice, you would need a week. It is also home of australias most popular sport (Aussie Rules) - it is an awesome city during AFL season, sports crazy!

Adelaide is another very pretty city and is the wine capital of australia with the barossa and mclaren vale within 1 or 2 hours of the city. It would be great if you could experience the drive from Melbourne to Adelaide via the Great Ocean Road.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
194 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: My daughter is there now

The point I am trying to make re your flight to Hamilton Island is if you have to go back to Sydney to catch same then it limits your time in the Hunter Valley - am trying to work out some sort of itinerary for you

lvmydogs
Level Contributor
80 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: My daughter is there now

Thank you so much for your help!

We are flying one way Newcastle-HI via Brisbane.

We don't have to fly back to Newcastle..We only have to get to Sydney by the 8th since I booked 3 nights at the Observatory Hotel before we fly back home

We are trying to decide wether to fly direct from HI to Melbourne...stay there 4 nights...or hang on in the Whitsunday another night then drive to Brisbane..then fly to Sydney for our last 3 nights.

I could also cut the Observatory to 2 nights...but I think our daughter will come back down to Sydney that weekend to visit...so want to spend time with her.

Decisions...

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: My daughter is there now

fly to melbourne and get another aspect of what an australian city is as well as visit the gor or wilsons prom to see another environment ie. rugged coastlines and cool temperate forests.

Edited: 7:03 pm, March 08, 2011
18. Re: My daughter is there now

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, December 12, 2012