We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay for week visit

Australia
Level Contributor
57 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay for week visit

Hi, I will be spending a week with my 14 year old daughter in Newcastle.

As most of our days will be tied up with sport, we would like to stay somewhere close to restaurants, shops and feel safe wandering around.

I am considering the chifley Apartments but as I don't know the area... its hard!

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

RP2
Australia
Level Contributor
75 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay for week visit

Hi,

The three main eating areas are:

1. Darby St Cooks Hill which is close to the beach; 2.Honeysuckle which is in the centre of the city itself & has many restaurants on the harbour.

3. Hamilton which has a range of resturants from all over the world.

Darby St & Honeysuckle are about 10-15 minute walk of each other.

These areas are quite safe to walk around in the early evening, but I guess like most places you probably don't want to be hanging around in the early hours of the morning, especially on a Friday or Saturday night.

I've never stayed in the apartments but they seem to be located toward the dodgier end of town.

Is your sporting activities in the centre of the city itself or out in the suburbs?

Hope that helps.

Aussie
Level Contributor
29 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay for week visit

The 3 areas mentioned above are the best in Newcastle itself.

Out in the suburbs, Warners Bay has a nice little resturant strip on the lake (Lake Macquarie).

This is a 15-20 min drive from the above areas and a little safer at night - less drunks around on weekend nights.

Cheers ... enjoy your stay

3. Re: Where to stay for week visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:20 am, February 08, 2010