We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hunter Valley - then Sydney or Newcastle to fly to Brisbane?

UK
Level Contributor
94 posts
109 reviews
Save Topic
Hunter Valley - then Sydney or Newcastle to fly to Brisbane?

Hello!

We're staying in Sydney in October, then doing a couple of days in Blue Mountains, then a couple in Hunter Valley. Our next stop from there is Brisbane. We'd assumed we'd need to drive back to SYD then fly from there - but I've just noticed that you can fly to Brisbane from Newcastle.

So.......what do people think? Which option is better? I have NO IDEA about Newcastle - so don't know whether it's somewhere we'd want to stay a night or not?

Thanks so much as always - Jo

Narooma, Australia
Level Contributor
977 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hunter Valley - then Sydney or Newcastle to fly to Brisbane?

Newcastle is fine. It was an industrial town (like its UK namesake), but it has really rejuvinated itself and has become quite an attractive tourist destination. The decision on whether to fly from Newcastle or Sydney should probably be made on a combination of convenience (flight times., etc) and the cost of extra one-way car rental drop off charges. The Newcastle airport is some way out of town. If it were me, without looking at detail, I'd fly from Newcastle to avoid backtracking to Sydney.

If you've time to spare, drive down to Nelson Bay and Shoal Bay on Port Stephens.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
83 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hunter Valley - then Sydney or Newcastle to fly to Brisbane?

I would even go further than the previous poster and suggest that you stay in Port Stephens (Nelsons Bay or Shoal Bay) for a night before flying out from Newcastle.

It is an easy drive from the Hunter Valley and at least as close to the airport as Newcastle. Being more of a tourist area than Newcastle CBD it also has a range of great restaurants, especially seafood.

Personally I would not even consider driving back to Sydney and fighting through the Toll raods and traffic when I had the easy paced and open road option of Newcastle.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hunter Valley - then Sydney or Newcastle to fly to Brisbane?

u could always do it 'the other way round'. sydney to hunter (a couple of hours) then to the blue mountains via the putty road then back to sydney to pick up your flight to brisbane.

Brisbane
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
3,252 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hunter Valley - then Sydney or Newcastle to fly to Brisbane?

You will probably find that you can make a good $$$ saving flying from Newcastle to Brisbane rather than from Sydney.

www.newcastleairport.com.au

Jetstar and Virgin often have cheaper airfares to and from Newcastle.

regards

Oscar

central coast nsw
Level Contributor
522 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hunter Valley - then Sydney or Newcastle to fly to Brisbane?

Hi Jo,

As others have said, its more practical to fly out of Williamtown (Newcastle) as you wont have the 2.5-3 hr drive from the Hunter back to Sydney.

Jetstar have 4 flights a day & Virgin have 3 from early morning to around 430 in the arvo with 1 later flight on Saturdays only.

The airport is probably 20 mins from Newcastle.

However, i take it that you have a rental car lined up as you mention driving back to Syd. Rental companies often have a pricey consideration if you pick up at point A & drop at point B ( in this case A being Syd & B being Newcastle).

I'd suggest you factor in what this cost is & then

consider

* what price your time saving in that its around 3 hours back to Sydney so it might mean cutting a day short or late arrival in Sydney.

* cheaper accomodation in Newcastle

* cheaper flight from Newcastle

Post in newcastle forum if you want accom suggestions.

Good Luck

UK
Level Contributor
94 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hunter Valley - then Sydney or Newcastle to fly to Brisbane?

Thanks so much for everyone's advice! Looks like I have some calculations to make! Will get on to it this weekend :o)

It WOULD be good not to have to double back - so will definitly assess the flight options.

Will let you all know!

Thanks again - Jo

UK
Level Contributor
94 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hunter Valley - then Sydney or Newcastle to fly to Brisbane?

Final update on this one! :o)

Looking at costs (i.e. one way charge vs cheaper hotel, less driving, cheaper flights) I definitly think the Newcastle option works out better - so THANK YOU!

We'll be in Hunter Valley the night before - then will drive the couple of hours out to Port Stephens area and stay there a night before catching a flight at 1pm to Brisbane.

Will put a seperate post up for accommodation ideas!

Thanks again!

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
83 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hunter Valley - then Sydney or Newcastle to fly to Brisbane?

I think you will find that you have made the right choice Lucy. I will keep my eyes open for your accommodation thread and see how I can help.

Regards

Dean

9. Re: Hunter Valley - then Sydney or Newcastle to fly to Brisbane?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:21 am, November 04, 2009