We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

South Coast - Mollymook, Surf Beach or Broulee?

Which Batemans Bay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Upper Hunter, NSW
Level Contributor
29 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
South Coast - Mollymook, Surf Beach or Broulee?

We are going to the South Coast at Christmas. I have found a few accommodation options but as I've never been to the coast I'm not sure which is the nicest. I have found places at Mollymook, Surf Beach (6kms sth of Batemans Bay) and Broulee. All are close to the beach, varied walks some with hills, flat etc, closeness to shops.

Any advice would be great, thanks so much.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: South Coast - Mollymook, Surf Beach or Broulee?

mollymook is a 'suburb' of ulladulla. nice beach, excellent golf club, small shopping centre, lots of places to stay and handy to a heap of restaurants in the local area as well as in ulladulla and milton. plenty to do and see (including 3 wineries) in the hinterland as well eg. pigeon house mountain. surf beach is a 'suburb' of batemans bay. ok but not terrific beach but plenty of others close by but all smallish. small shopping centre. broulee has more of a beach holiday, less suburban, feel. nice safe beach facing the island as well as a good surf beach to the south. close to batemans bay and moruya. all are crowded at xmas. personally i would choose mollymook as there is more to do in the area and a wider selection of great beaches both north an south if u want to get away from the xmas crowds.

Edited: 2:23 am, May 05, 2010
Jamaica
Level Contributor
891 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: South Coast - Mollymook, Surf Beach or Broulee?

Lien covered the three destinatons very good. With respect to the beaches at all three locations, in my opinion Broulee has the best, hands down. North Broulee beach faces Broulee island, which last year when I was there last still had the sand spit so you can walk accross to the island reserve and explore a little. South Broulee beach is incredibly beautiful, more so then North Broulee.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,842 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: South Coast - Mollymook, Surf Beach or Broulee?

My vote would be Broulee too - we used to spend about a month there every Christmas when I was a child and it's a beautiful beach (back then, it took us about 6 hours to drive from Sydney to Broulee, but I don't think it'd take anywhere near that long now).

Edited: 8:45 pm, May 05, 2010
Broulee, Australia
Level Contributor
41 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: South Coast - Mollymook, Surf Beach or Broulee?

Hi - this is a little late and you may have already chosen a spot - but just in case here's my thoughts!

I think Mollymook and Broulee are very different places - both fabulous in their own way. Mollymook has shopping, restaurants and has a bigger feel. I love going there to get more of an 'urban beachy' feel - and the Rick Stein restaurant at Bannisters is a must! Broulee really is still a beach town - it has only a couple of small shops, no evening restaurants and just a few artisans selling their wares. We have a beach house there and love it for it's simplicity - you still have a supermarkets at Moruya and Bateman's Bay - and shops at Mogo as well.

If you have children then I would definately recommend Broulee. There are a number of different beaches to choose from (depending on the wind), plus a lagoon and lots of rockpools - my children learned to surf on North Broulee beach and the beach is long and safe. There is also a patrolled beach at South Broulee which is great. The beaches are only a couple of minutes apart.

It is a lovely walk around Broulee island and there is plenty of space for everyone.

I hope this helps.

Upper Hunter, NSW
Level Contributor
29 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: South Coast - Mollymook, Surf Beach or Broulee?

Thanks so much everyone for your comments and letting me know about the area, it's much appreciated.

I have had alot of trouble finding somewhere to stay. I think I have it narrowed down now to a place 300m from Mollymook Beach or a nice house in Dolphin Point. I'm not sure which way to go but by the sounds of it Mollymook has what we're looking for, any suggestions about Dolphin Point re: beach, shops, places to eat etc. Thanks so much.

Jamaica
Level Contributor
891 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: South Coast - Mollymook, Surf Beach or Broulee?

Dolphin Point is just to the south of Ulladulla. You will be on the south side of the nearby inlet which is pretty much rocky, to the North of the inlet is a nice uncrowded beach, but I think you will need to cross the bridge, which will be a long walk. There are some shops nearby (Burril Lake I think it is called, which is also a long walk from the houses on the headland). I think you would be better set up at Mollymook as everything will most likely be within walking distance. If you don't mind the short drives to beach/shops, Dolphin Point is a nice and quiet location.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: South Coast - Mollymook, Surf Beach or Broulee?

burrill lake near dolphin point has a small shopping centre which can supply all u need. there is only one fish+chip shop and a cafe in the area. u can walk from dolphin point across what used to be the lake outlet ( a bone of contention with locals) to the beach. it will be crowded at xmas. there are 3 camping grounds there. but all beaches in the area will be anyway. and because the lake is closed off the area has a certain 'stink' about it at times.

the war of words between residents and council regarding the 'opening' of the lake continues.

stick to mollymook.

Upper Hunter, NSW
Level Contributor
29 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: South Coast - Mollymook, Surf Beach or Broulee?

Great, thanks so much for the info. I will stick to Mollymook and book our holiday tomorrow, can't wait to visit the beautiful south coast. Thanks everyone for your input, I am very appreciative.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
16,157 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: South Coast - Mollymook, Surf Beach or Broulee?

Nothing like a quite drink at the Molymook golf club at the end of the day, looking out over the great beach and ocean vista.

10. Re: South Coast - Mollymook, Surf Beach or Broulee?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, November 18, 2010