We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Romantic accomodations in TE ANAU for moderate price?

California
Level Contributor
1,128 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Romantic accomodations in TE ANAU for moderate price?

We'll be spending 3 or 4 nights in Te Anau in February 2007 for our 25th wedding anniversary.

I have booked an overnite on Doubtful Sound and am very excited about that! It costs a bundle, so I'd like to book romantic accomodations in Te Anau for a moderate price.

Any suggestions? We prefer locally-owned places with a friendly folks. Usually like b&bs. Would consider hotel if it had something special, like view rooms or jacuzzi/hot tub. Love a tasty b&b.

One of those nights will be on board the boat, of course. We want to add the other nights so we can also do the Milford Road and walks, and are possibly considering also doing either the Milford Sound boat (day-cruise only) or else the tour which allows you to hike just part of the Milford Track.

Over 20 years ago we visited New Zealand with our 2-year old. We zipped all over, and it was awesome...but this time we want to slow down and really explore places in more depth.

Thanks!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
711 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Romantic accomodations in TE ANAU for moderate price?

Melissa,

The short walks we did were right off the road to Milford Sound. We were taken into incredibly spectacular areas with raging torrents and moss covered trees and undergrowth. Words can't describe the beauty we saw that day.

Check out the website for Trips 'n' Tramps because they do many walks, both one day and longer - www.milfordtourswalks.co.nz

If you're looking for a good restaurant in Te Anau, I'd recommend Keplers Restaurant. We enjoyed the best roast lamb and veges dinner we've ever tasted and in very pleasant surroundings.

If you like to stop at tearooms and gift shops, there's a place called Bracken Hall in the small town of Mossburn not very far from Te Anau. We were driving from Queenstown and stopped off there for lunch before making our way to Te Anau. We enjoyed a yummy lunch including the best carrot cake!

Writing about NZ is bringing back all the very pleasant memories and making me want to go back and we are actually hoping to do just that in 2008 but that seems a long way off! I can imagine how excited you must be with your trip only a few months away.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
47 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Romantic accomodations in TE ANAU for moderate price?

Regarding the tripsntramps day tour to Milford Sound, were the walks along the way suitable for a wheelchair or are they actual bushwalks?

Also any tips for spacious accommodation in Te Anau which is wheelchair accessible would be good! Preferably a unit with a separate bedroom as i am trying to organise trip for 1 disabled person and 2 carers.

Thanks!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
711 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Romantic accomodations in TE ANAU for moderate price?

Hi Roevans,

I think you'd be best to contact Trips 'n' Tramps via email with your questions. I can't really remember the exact detail of the walks we did along the Milford Road but I think they wouldn't have been wheelchair accessible because they weren't paved. Of course the walks were optional. The website is - www.milfordtourswalks.co.nz

We stayed at Campbell AutoLodge which did have ground floor units but I think each unit has just the one bedroom with a queen and a single bed. Perhaps vbc, the Te Anau expert for TA could advise you on that.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
47 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Romantic accomodations in TE ANAU for moderate price?

Thanks Porge, it is SO time consuming emailing all these accommodation places to check out their disabled access facilities. I think I have found a good cottage (Birchwood cottages) outside Te Anau which sounds perfect but unfortunately they are booked for one of the nights I need. Another possibility is the Top10 holiday park in Te Anau, and some other cottages (blue mountains) outside te Anau. Has anyone stayed in either of these places? The biggest problem is finding a place which has a separate bedroom and not too many stairs to access the unit.

Te Anau
Destination Expert
for South Island, Te Anau
Level Contributor
3,155 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Romantic accomodations in TE ANAU for moderate price?

Hi Roevans,

I can sympathise with your problems trying to arrange a tour for a disabled person. I took my father, who is 89, to Melbourne two weeks ago. Although he is not in a wheelchair, it would have been far faster if he had been. We were at the back of every queue at the airport, and even aranging a trip to town was a major logistical exercise.

Campbell AutoLodge has one access unit, however it only has two beds, a queen and a single, and they are both in the same bedroom, so probably not all that convenient. All new accommodation must provide at least 10% access units, and even older properties will have at least one unit.

Get a copy of the AA accommodation guide. They have an icon on each property which shows if they have disabled units.

A couple of years ago a woman came around doing a survey of properties with disabled access. She intended putting out a guide, but I don't know if it eventuated. I certainly havent seen it.

If you are really stuck I will phone around Te Anau & try to find something suitable for you. Send me an email, vbca@xtra.co.nz. I would need to know what dates, how many people, and what you expect to pay. An indication of your ideal unit would also be a help.

Te Anau
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,155 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Romantic accomodations in TE ANAU for moderate price?

Regarding wheelchair access to walking tracks. To the best of my knowledge most of the tracks would be quite difficult, particularly for a standard chair. I think the first part of the Kepler Track, from the Te Anau control gates to Dock Bay has been upgraded to wheelchair standard, but it is still a gravel track, (not paved). I have a friend who is chair bound, and is very active in promoting disabled travel. I will ask him tomorrow and see if he has any ideas.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
47 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Romantic accomodations in TE ANAU for moderate price?

Thanks vbc,

I notice I've asked you the same question in two separate sections of this forum...just having a senior moment. I believe there is a guide for walking tracks for people in wheelchairs, I just don't happen to have a copy! Am about to book a night in the Top10 holiday park in Te Anau and a second night in Birchwood cottages just outside Te Anau. Birchwood has exactly what I want but is only available for 1 of the 2 nights I need, so will compromise on the Top10. I'm sure it'll be OK . Our carers are resourceful people, they'll manage somehow!

Te Anau
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,155 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Romantic accomodations in TE ANAU for moderate price?

For information on access to walking tracks in Fiordland contact Peter Dolamore

dola@xtra.co.nz

Great guy, and right into stiring up the beauracrats for better access for disabled persons

Brisbane, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: Romantic accomodations in TE ANAU for moderate price?

Melissa

I am researching and found this page that I had looked at yesterday

www.realjourneys.co.nz/Main/Milfordwalk/

It may be what you are looking for with short walk on Milford Track.

I envy you going there again. I went twice many years ago when single this time I'm planning for my 2 offspring who are busy until they start holidays 3 days before departure in a fortnight. Maybe I should also start making hints- 25th anniversary comes up next October

Have a great time

Carmel

Allahabad, India
Level Contributor
41 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Romantic accomodations in TE ANAU for moderate price?

Mellisa,

I read your wonderful report on your visit to South Island. We are a couple and would be visiting there for 3 weeks in December this year.

We are booked to stay at Blue Thistle Cottage in Te Anau,

I was wondering if you or anyone has any first hand experiences with them ? We had earlier looked for Croft , but they are not available.

Thanks !

Gaurav