We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stay in Te Anau or Manapouri?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
91 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Stay in Te Anau or Manapouri?

Need two nights stay. In researching Te Anau, all hotels/motels in our price range look, for lack of a better word, tired. Found a cottage in Manapouri that looks a bit better and is just outside of the town (on property), which appeals to me. However, I'm wondering if I'm making a big deal out of a two night stay.

Thoughts on staying in one town over another? Thanks!

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,461 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stay in Te Anau or Manapouri?

If you prefer to stay in Manapouri, then do so.

Just be aware that Manapouri is more limited in dining options.

Enjoy :)

California
Level Contributor
8,431 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stay in Te Anau or Manapouri?

When we went this past February, we ended staying in Manapouri. We stayed at a self-contained (catered?) cottage which worked out well for us. I found the self-contained accommodation in Te Anau either high priced, or tightly squeezed together along the waterfront.

By any chance, are you looking at staying at Kepler Mountain View cottage? If so, my review is here: tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g668209-d146632…

It's only a 20 minute drive to Te Anau.

Edited: 10:43 pm, April 13, 2014
New Jersey
Level Contributor
91 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stay in Te Anau or Manapouri?

Yes, thinking of staying at Kempler. The one thing that concerns me is she mentioned the cottage is single glazed and the double glazed cottage will be much warmer. Of course that one is larger and therefore more expensive and it's also right in the town. I liked the idea of staying outside of town. I have no idea if single glazing would significantly impact internal temperature (warmth) in mid-May..... Any locals know?

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,826 posts
440 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stay in Te Anau or Manapouri?

Te Anau is much more suited to tourists with many more accommodation, food, restaurant, supermarket, movie and other options. We found a full range of accommodation in Te Anau from holiday park, holiday homes and motels to suit all budgets. A walk along the lovely waterfront in Te Anau in the evening is great. The DOC and bird area is also a lovely walk. i think there are many more options in Te Anau.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,425 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stay in Te Anau or Manapouri?

Kepler Mountain View will suit you fine, don't worry about the "double glazed" there'll be a heater. The cottages are just down the road from the village and only a 20 minute drive from Te Anau. We stayed just down the road from the cottages for 2 weeks (in a holiday park)- drove to Te Anau when we needed to, no issues. It's in the country surrounded by deer farms, the "cottage" alpacas are the cutest.

Here's my blog post from our stay in Manapouri (look out for Doubtful Sound & Kepler Track too)-

…blogspot.co.nz/2014/04/relaxing-in-manapour…

If you look at the 4th photo on this post, you'll see the surrounding countryside- the "cottages" are in the property at the end of the big row of gumtrees.

…blogspot.co.nz/2014/03/what-ride.html

New Jersey
Level Contributor
91 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stay in Te Anau or Manapouri?

Thanks for sharing your blog zappers - your pictures are beautiful. Will read all your blogs when I get a chance tonight. Appreciate everyone's thoughts. Still haven't completely decided, though leaning towards Manapouri.

California
Level Contributor
8,431 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stay in Te Anau or Manapouri?

Just to clarify, there's only one cottage behind the owner's house at the alpaca farm and that's where we stayed. And I am assuming is the one that is single-glazed. It's a short drive to "town". The other two cottages are in "town" on Motu-au cul-de-sac. We drove by them one time and I didn't find the street very appealing. I put town in quotation marks because there isn't much there. There's a petrol station and that's about it. The waterfront has some lovely strolls though. If you like to wander around a more lively town with lots of shops and people around, then stay in Te Anau.

In reading Zapper's blog, I recognize the stag seen on the way out of Manapouri. He put on quite a show for us. If you disgust easily, don't read the next sentence.

..... He bowed his head between his front legs as he urinated and washed his face and antlers with it before sauntering towards the paddock where the ladies were.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
91 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Stay in Te Anau or Manapouri?

@deSchenke - thanks for the visual!

I had noticed the other cottages were in town and just via google maps had come to the same conclusion as you re: appeal. I'd rather be out of towns (even very small ones) than in them. Good to know there is a petrol station in town however. We can stroll around Te Anau should we go there for dinner one afternoon/evening.

Thanks!

Australia
Level Contributor
113 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Stay in Te Anau or Manapouri?

I stayed at the Fiordland Lakeview Motel and Apartments. You can read my review at tripadvisor.com.au/…REVIEWS

10. Re: Stay in Te Anau or Manapouri?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 16, 2015