We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 day kayak trip in doubtful sound - operators

Which Te Anau hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
1 day kayak trip in doubtful sound - operators

Hello All,

I will be in Te Anau on the 31/12 & 1/1, I would love to do a day kayak trip in doubtful sound but can't seem to find any operators that offer 1 day only trips to doubtful sound. If anyone knows of any can you please get in touch?

Thanks

California
Level Contributor
7,147 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 day kayak trip in doubtful sound - operators

fiordlandadventure.co.nz/tours/…

If you use them, please report back and tell us how it went.

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,211 posts
424 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 day kayak trip in doubtful sound - operators

We did a one day kayak trip in milford sound with roscos which was brillant as we got to see the sheer cliffs, mitre peak and experience the sound. I dont think a one day trip in doubtful sound is enough.

by the time you travel over lake manapouri, bus over wilmot pass, kayaking will start in the afternoon. i doubt whether anyone would offer one day kayak on doubtful sound. Doubtful sound is much more immense and huge, so you wouldnt get to see as much. Milford Sound has more sheer cliffs and is more compact. Both stunning and both very very different. I dont have a favourite, they are both worth a visit. But doubtful requires an overnight trip

California
Level Contributor
7,147 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 day kayak trip in doubtful sound - operators

Poppy, did you click my link? It's a one day kayak on Doubtful. They depart Manapouri at 7:45am, so get to the sound well before noon. You kayak into Hall Arm and get shuttled back by boat, so you are able to get out aways without needing the time to paddle the return.

There are one day cruises on Doubtful as well.

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,211 posts
424 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 day kayak trip in doubtful sound - operators

Doubtful is huge. Hall arm is at the start.

refer http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doubtful_Sound

I did kayaking there in conjunction with a cruise, and it was stunning, but you will see a little bit of doubtful sound and miss seeing most of doubtful sound.

But its better to do a day than miss it altogether.

Edited: 2:41 am, October 25, 2013
5. Re: 1 day kayak trip in doubtful sound - operators

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:22 am, October 27, 2014