We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 nights in Te Anau

Singapore
Level Contributor
596 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
3 nights in Te Anau

my 2 kids (11 & 9) and I will be spending 3 nights in Te Anau in December following a 3D2N ride on the Otago Rail Trail. We will probably arrive at Te Anau close to dinner time (from Omakau) and will be doing a farmstay (self -catered) for 3 nights.

Have a couple of questions:

1. Any recommendations on family friendly restaurants there and would they be open at 7 -8 pm in December? Do most restaurants do takeout?

2. We will be using one of the 2 full days there to do a drive to/from Milford Sound. I am hoping to get the first boat out to avoid the crowds. What time should I target to leave Te Anau?

3. Still undecided about the glow worm tour as we are headed to Hokitika on our way back to Christchurch. Are there any family friendly walks / activities we can do around Te Anau?

Many thanks!

Te Anau
Destination Expert
for South Island, Te Anau
Level Contributor
3,077 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: 3 nights in Te Anau

Cheers Banoffi, Have a great trip.

Singapore
Level Contributor
596 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: 3 nights in Te Anau

thanks vbc! looking forward to it.

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
3,056 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: 3 nights in Te Anau

I was also going to suggest the bird park. It's a very gentle walk along the lake shore to get there - from the township. It has many NZ native birds, including takahe (thought extinct until the 1950s when it was rediscovered).

Te Anau
Destination Expert
for South Island, Te Anau
Level Contributor
3,077 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: 3 nights in Te Anau

Yes, the bird park is good. Right across the road from the Ivan Wilson Park and Lake Henry. There are also fish ponds, so if the kids don't have any luck catching fish they can at least see what they missed out on.

There is also the Department of Conservation headquarters, which has a small museum, and a audio visual theater with a good short film on Fiordland.

Singapore
Level Contributor
596 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: 3 nights in Te Anau

Thank you Telly and vbc. Suddenly it seems like 3 days isnt enough...

16. Re: 3 nights in Te Anau

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, August 05, 2014