We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Te Anau dock at the lake?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
54 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Te Anau dock at the lake?

Hey guys..

I'm planning on hitting up Te Amur this September. I'm always seeing this photo of the dock with beautiful landscape in view. This one, in particular..

samwaldron.co.nz/Landscapes/The-Land/i-Qtk6k…

Does anyone know how to reach this from Queenstown? Is it accessible by car?

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
3,186 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Te Anau dock at the lake?

Te Anau is a town about 2 hours drive from Queenstown. Of course it is accessible by car - a few thousand people live there and thousands more pass through each day en route to Milford Sound. If that is indeed the dock on Lake Te Anau, it is right in town. If it is the one that boats depart for the Milford Track from, then it is about 20km from town - but still accessible by road. I suggest you actually look at a map of NZ to get an idea where towns are in relation to one another.

Mentioned in this post
Milford Sound
Milford Sound
4,634 Reviews
Te Anau, New Zealand
Lake Te Anau
Lake Te Anau
869 Reviews
Te Anau, New Zealand
Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,481 posts
296 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Te Anau dock at the lake?

That looks like the dock at Te Anau Downs to me - about a 20 minute drive from the town of Te Anau as mentioned by Telly. Easy to get to.

Mentioned in this post
Te Anau Downs
Te Anau Downs
Fiordland National Park, New Zealand
New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,988 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Te Anau dock at the lake?

Hmmm, looks like one of the docks in Te Anau to me, I think Te Anau Downs dock is larger? wider? - but I haven't been in Te Anau for a couple of years so possibly mis-remember.

Mentioned in this post
Te Anau Downs
Te Anau Downs
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
37,680 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Te Anau dock at the lake?

I thout it was Te Anau Downs at first but I think that one has guard rails!!

Mentioned in this post
Te Anau Downs
Te Anau Downs
Te Anau
Destination Expert
for South Island, Te Anau
Level Contributor
4,043 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Te Anau dock at the lake?

This is the wharf at the Marakura yacht Club, on Lake Te Anau. It is at the southern end of the lake, just past the Te Anau Motor Park. The snow capped mountains are the Murchisons, and the low hills are the Hidden Lakes. The South Fiord of Lake Te Anau is between the Murchisons and the Hidden Lakes.

As a matter of interest, the only named fiords in Fiordland are on Lake Te Anau. The South, Middle, and North fiords. All the other fiords, including Milford , Doubtful, Charles, etc, are called Sounds, even though they are in fact Fiords (formed by a glacier) and have a classic "U" shape. Sounds are formed mostly by rivers, and have a "V" shape. The reason for this is that they were named by Capt James Cook, who was from Cornwall, and apparently not too familiar with Fiords, or how they differ from Sounds. The later Norwegian sealers and whalers would certainly have known about Fiords, but by then it was too late, they had been (mis)named).

Mentioned in this post
Lake Te Anau
Lake Te Anau
869 Reviews
Te Anau, New Zealand
Cornwall
Cornwall
England, UK
South Island
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
1,442 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Te Anau dock at the lake?

Good info vbc, any idea why Preservation Inlet has its name?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
496 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Te Anau dock at the lake?

I would guess that because there was a whaling station there in the early 1800's that it has something to do with "preserving" the blubber or whale oil processing? Perhaps it was used as a preserving site for seal skins.

Te Anau
Destination Expert
for South Island, Te Anau
Level Contributor
4,043 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Te Anau dock at the lake?

Not sure about Preservation inlet, Bill. Kikiflower's explanation is possible, but I think more likely it relates to the incredible hardships endured by the early sealers, many of whom were dropped off in remote areas with very little in the way of supplies or equipment. The intention was of course that the ship would return in a few months to collect them, and the seal skins etc, but often the ship sank, or the skipper just couldn't be bothered to come back, and the men often perished. In this case what they would be trying to preserve would be their lives.

There were numerous shipwrecks in this area, and the name may stem from this.

It was the site of one of the earliest settlements in new Zealand (Cromarty) when over 2500 gold miners lived there. Silver was also mined nearby (Tarawera Mine & smelter). John Hall-Jone's book "Fiordland Explored" quite likely gives the origin of the name, but my copy seems to have disappeared. Must have lent it it someone :(

Mentioned in this post
Zealand
Zealand
Denmark
9. Re: Te Anau dock at the lake?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, July 26, 2014