We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coach-Cruise-Fly from Te Anau to Milford Sound

Which Te Anau hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
Level Contributor
595 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Coach-Cruise-Fly from Te Anau to Milford Sound

Hi, I'll be in Te Anau for 3 nights in December and was considering doing a coach-cruise-fly to Milford sound so i hopefully get the best of all the worlds (beautiful scenery going in, and a helicopter view going out).

I dont' seem to be able to find such options departing to/from Te Anau though. Most of the coach/cruise/fly options seem to originate and end in Queenstown.

Is anyone aware of an operator which does such tours?

Alternatively, shld i do a fly-cruise-fly to Milford from QT and save Te Anau for Doubtful sound?

thanks!

London, United...
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Coach-Cruise-Fly from Te Anau to Milford Sound

lots of info can be found at http://www.teanau.net.nz/

you should be able to charter flights from te anau if only by chopper

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
6,895 posts
420 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coach-Cruise-Fly from Te Anau to Milford Sound

I do believe the scenery is much more stunning if you coach into Milford. The impact is so much better taking the road in, rather than out. So while you could fly from Qt, cruise and then coach to Te Anau I think it would be referable to coach, cruise, fly. However, I would highly recommend you do both Milford and Doubtful sounds. Doubtful as an overnight if you can. They are both stunning, but quite different.

South Island
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
1,398 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Coach-Cruise-Fly from Te Anau to Milford Sound

I agree poppynz the impact is so much better taking the road into Milford Sound. Coach cruise fly is the best way to see Milford Sound. Most people do this as a day tour from Queenstown, unfortunately the coach cruise fly from Te Anau has fewer options. Air Fiordland who are based in Te Anau may be worth a try.

Singapore
Level Contributor
595 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Coach-Cruise-Fly from Te Anau to Milford Sound

Thanks all. I think we will play it by ear.

We will be in Te Anau in the early part of Dec 2013 for 3 nights - do you think we could make bookings once we get there, or should we book before we leave for NZ?

Thanks.

South Island
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
1,398 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Coach-Cruise-Fly from Te Anau to Milford Sound

Make your bookings when you arrive, there is ample capacity so there is no need to book in advance.

Singapore
Level Contributor
595 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Coach-Cruise-Fly from Te Anau to Milford Sound

thanks, Bill.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
285 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Coach-Cruise-Fly from Te Anau to Milford Sound

South Island Bill mentioned that there were fewer options if one stays in Te Anau as opposed to Queenstown.

What would we miss if we stayed in Te Anau ? I can only see advantages to being closer to Milford

Sound.

South Island
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
1,398 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Coach-Cruise-Fly from Te Anau to Milford Sound

You would miss out on doing a coach cruise fly, and that is the ultimate way to see Milford Sound.The flights between Milford Sound and Queenstown pass through mountain scenery that has a quality not found in other flight activities.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
285 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Coach-Cruise-Fly from Te Anau to Milford Sound

Air Fiordand had a cruise air package from Te Anau. Is the coach cruise package from Queenstown any different ? The Coach part would be identical as one would have to drive through Te Anau. The flight back is the only thing that is different. Is this difference so dramatic to consider flying back in to Queenstown as opposed to Te Anau ?

Edited: 10:34 am, November 15, 2013
South Island
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
1,398 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Coach-Cruise-Fly from Te Anau to Milford Sound

I am sure the Air Fiordland cruise air package from Te Anau would be fine.