We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do on drive from Queenstown to Te Anua?

Which Te Anau hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
854 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
What to do on drive from Queenstown to Te Anua?

We will be in Te anua for 2 nights - what are must sees from drive from Queenstown enroute for two young 60 yr olds who love the outdoors and beautiiful scenery. Any nice scenic easy to moderate hikes?

Also, any suggestions as to which company to use for Milford Sound Cruise?

Thanks

Joyce

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,854 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do on drive from Queenstown to Te Anua?

there is very little other than a beutiful drive.

At Kingston, if you like steam trains, check out the Kingston Flyer, unfortuneatly it wont be running untill around February 2013, but they are still nice to look at

there are shrt walks along the way including 'the wildeernes., take a detour via Lake Manapouri, it is regarded as NZs most beutiful lake

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do on drive from Queenstown to Te Anua?

Hi Joyce

The drive is an easy 2 hours and follows the Lake Wakatipu shoreline then crosses farmland for most of the way so there are limited stopping points.

You could stop at Kingston - sadly the Kingston Flyer has ceased operations for the moment http://www.kingstonflyer.co.nz/

if you don't mind 40kms of unsealed gravel roads (one way, so about 80kms total) you could enjoy some nice flat hiking through the bush at Mavora Lakes - there are swing bridges over the rivers - my dog hated one of the bridges (which is admittedly quite scary) so he would swim across the river. …govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/…

We used to camp there a couple of times each year - it's one of the few DOC reserves which allows dogs. The last time we camped there it snowed - huge snowflakes the size of my hand - it was magical.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
219 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do on drive from Queenstown to Te Anua?

Wow, that's strange to hear the Kingston Flyer is closed down for the holidays, as I rode it last month. It seemed to be running pretty nicely then. Hope they're not having trouble with funding, as it was a fun ride with a really good quality cafe.

TimeshareQueen, one easy walk I'd recommend is at the Te Anau wildlife sanctuary. After you park in the parking lot go down and left instead of down and right (down and right is where all the birds are). You get some really nice views of Lake Te Anau and the Kepler Range. For instance, I thought this was particularly nice:

…photobucket.com/albums/…009.jpg

The Kepler Track from the control gates to say Dock Bay is really nice if you want an easy relaxed rainforest walk. Lots of big tree ferns and fallen trees covered in moss.

The drive between Queenstown and Te Anau is pretty short, so the only place that might make a reasonable stop in between is Manapouri for a quick view of Lake Manapouri, but that is right next to Te Anau; less than 30 km if I remember correctly.

Edited: 4:25 pm, December 19, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
219 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do on drive from Queenstown to Te Anua?

Oops, I shouldn't call Manapouri in between on second thought; it's a bit of a detour (though not an especially long one) from the drive to Te Anau.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do on drive from Queenstown to Te Anua?

The Flyer has a problem with the boiler (some consider it a problem with the new ownership) either way it may be a while before she's back in operation

odt.co.nz/news/…flyer-action-criticised

Rockhampton...
Level Contributor
156 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do on drive from Queenstown to Te Anua?

Hey W/L - sad to hear the flyer is lacking in good care - shes' a beauty. Hopefully they can get her going again, especially with peak season here and all.

cheers :)

Rockhampton...
Level Contributor
156 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to do on drive from Queenstown to Te Anua?

Hello TimeshareQueen,

Try stopping off at Garston Hotel which is a little further on past Kingston. This historic pub has character and charm with great service and yummy food!! It has a cafe style fell to it. The owner, Al, is a chef who creates the most wonderful food for meals or snacks - try his pies - our favourite. We stop there every time we travel down to Te Anau and always take away with us some pies for later.

Across the road is N.Z Honey Co. - you can try some of their wonderful honeys and other concoctions and purchase as well.

Cheers :)

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to do on drive from Queenstown to Te Anua?

The Kingston Flyer will be operating again from Jan 4th odt.co.nz/news/queenstown-lakes/240939/all-a…

Canada
Level Contributor
1,059 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to do on drive from Queenstown to Te Anua?

We find that on drives, and traveling in general, a good diversion is geocaching. have a look at www.geocaching.com

(BTW... how do I make that a live link?)

Canada
Level Contributor
1,059 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to do on drive from Queenstown to Te Anua?

OOOOPS, I just noticed it does it all by itself.... how smart!