We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hard Question

Which Te Anau hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego...
Level Contributor
455 posts
Save Topic
Hard Question

In looking at many pictures of Milford sound, I started feeling like I have done this before , halong bay ,Vietnam, rafting grand canyon,, cruising Alaska etc

I know it will be beautiful but will it blow me away ?? (in July.)I'm spending two night in Te anu just to do this before I move on to Queenstown.

I'm looking for something Extraordinary.

any thoughts

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
30,938 posts
307 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Hard Question

I travel a lot - about 12 countries in 4 continents last year alone, but the thing that annoys me most is when people ask me if "X" is BETTER than "Y". I try not to make comparisons - just take each place as it comes.

Canada
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Hard Question

If the road to the sound is so special... i'd like to make the most of it, but is it obvious, while driving there? are there any MUST walks or lookouts? Are the points of interest well marked?

I know these questions sound dumb, and I apologize, I just don't want to regret my ignorance after the fact.

Thanks

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,405 posts
284 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Hard Question

<are there any MUST walks or lookouts?>

Yes.

< Are the points of interest well marked?>

Yes.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
225 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Hard Question

<"I travel a lot - about 12 countries in 4 continents last year alone, but the thing that annoys me most is when people ask me if "X" is BETTER than "Y". I try not to make comparisons - just take each place as it comes.">

I can understand this point of view. At the same time, when confronted with making hard choices while traveling - whether it's due to time, money or other constraints - these types of comparisons can have a place in the decision-making process.

Lancaster...
Level Contributor
929 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Hard Question

MarinkaB, I'd love to read that review which compares NZ

I think it is on TA where Doubtful sound's reviews are.

before I paid for my over night cruise to DS I have read a lot about it.

Canada
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Hard Question

melnq8 - thanks very little for your answer. i've already apologized in my post above for the naive question, so there's no need for further sarcasm.

What i MEANT to ask was - i'm sure the drive to milford sound has many more stops and walks than one can reasonably do... so - which are the best?

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,491 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Hard Question

Thanks marinkaB, I'll take a look.

Chiefe, I don't know melnq8, so can't really speak for him/her. But I don't get sarcasm from the answer, just a straight to the point response. There are great walks and spotting them on the way shouldn't be too hard.

Mirror Lakes and The Chasm are two of the more popular ones. I liked the Lake Marian Gantry Walk (20min return), because it's off a side road so has little to no tourists on it.

My favourite part of the road, however, is when you emerge on the Western side of Homer Tunnel and look down across a valley covered in hundreds of waterfalls. It's even more spectacular after rain. I can't recall if there are any safe places to pull over there, so make sure the passenger is ready with his/her camera.

fiordland.org.nz/ABOUT-FIORDLAND/Walking--Hi…

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,405 posts
284 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Hard Question

I most certainly was NOT being sarcastic, just answering the question at hand. Sorry you took offense.

There ARE many points of interest and and they ARE well marked.

Canada
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Hard Question

thanks oscar & mel (or kate? no offense meant and none taken... perhaps just some disappointment that the original answer gave no details. i'll make sure to phrase future questions better.

America
Level Contributor
106 posts
Save Reply
20. Re: Hard Question

WanakaLakes is right in that the best part of Milford Sound is the drive to the Sound, rather than the crowds milling around the cruise ship docks amonst the numerous tour buses all swatting at the swarming sandflies.

The driving route is staggeringly beautiful, in my mind surpassing the beauty of either Grand Canyon or Yosemite Valley.

Te Anau is underwhelming...The road to Milford is overwhelming! Often when I visit the area I drive the road back/forth then back/forth again from The Divide to the Sound...while only spending a short bit of time at the actual Sound, especially since DoC closed the fabulous short track over to Bowen falls.

Otherwise, there are numerous must-see little walks and longer walks along the Milford Rd, most all signed very clearly...but so numerous that it's hard to choose between them all.