We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Doubtful Sound DayTrip - including kayaking and fishing

Which Te Anau hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NZ
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Topic
Doubtful Sound DayTrip - including kayaking and fishing

Hi there,

We're looking for a Doubtful sound - day trip - that includes kayacking and fishing - on a smaller boat - does anyone know of a good company to go through - there are 5 of us?

Many thanks

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Doubtful Sound DayTrip - including kayaking and fishing

Hello Lolo, welcome to the forum :)

I don't know any day trips which include kayaking and fishing - you will need to ask the company directly. Because Doubtful Sound takes quite a bit of time to get to/from - witha lake and pass to cross - your time in the fiord could be quite limited with just a day trip. Most companies offer multi-day trips for this reason. Or you might consider Milford which has easier access.

But if wanting to visit Doubtful then consider http://www.fiordlandadventure.co.nz/

or a multi-day trip fiordlandseakayak.co.nz/sea-kayak-fiordland/…

best of luck :)

Level Contributor
11 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Doubtful Sound DayTrip - including kayaking and fishing

Do do both proposed activities you will need to do an overnight cruise, it is not possible to do them on a day trip, as WanakaLakes advised you do spend a reasonable part of the day just getting to the fiord.

For overnight operators who offering both fishing and kayaking see

www.doubtfulsound.com

www.fiordlandexpeditions.co.nz

www.doubtfulful-sound.com

Good luck!

Level Contributor
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Doubtful Sound DayTrip - including kayaking and fishing

We will be visiting New Zealand in June. Is it to cold for the trips to Doubtful Sound or Millford Sound to be enjoyable? Should we concentrate on the north island this trip and come when it is summer for the south island?

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Doubtful Sound DayTrip - including kayaking and fishing

Welcome to the forum Karla :)

I would argue the South Island has the better winter weather. The North Island is wet and damp with low grey skies.

The South Island is clear blue skies, sunny days with slightly lower daytime temps and quite a bit chillier overnight temps. Plus the South Island has the more spectacular scenery.

Doubtful and Milford are gorgeous in June, especially if there is snow.

So come on down and enjoy :)

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Doubtful Sound DayTrip - including kayaking and fishing

I may be wrong here, but I'm sure I read something somewhere which suggested Fiordland had more dry days in Winter than in Summer. I always loved visiting the Fiords in Winter, still spectacularly beautiful and just that little bit more peaceful :)

Don't let Winter put you off, Fiordland is incredible!

6. Re: Doubtful Sound DayTrip - including kayaking and fishing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:21 am, March 12, 2013