We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

routeburn track

Which Te Anau hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
seattle
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
routeburn track

I'm interested in doing the routeburn track and having a private room amd maybe prepared dinner. Is it possible to do this hike independatly, but sleeping in your own room? A guided trip without the guide or the group.

cristina

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: routeburn track

Hello Christina

I'm not sure what you mean by a guided trip without the guide or group? I guess you could pay the full price for a dozen clients and so book the entire trip just for yourself. And the same applies if you wish for a private room. You could pay the price of the other bunks and so ensure it is just you.

You could walk independently, carry and cook your own food, use the shared dorm rooms. or join the guided tour http://www.ultimatehikes.co.nz/rbt_home.asp and share the experience with others. The guided tour isn't like a museum tour where you are all herded together to walk from point to point for a lecture. You are free to walk at your own pace, on your own, if you wish. And on arrival at your lodge you have hot showers and a wonderful meal waiting. Sounds good to me :)

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
30,894 posts
307 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: routeburn track

I'm sure it is impossible. The company that holds the concession for the guided tour - Ultimate hikes - will insist you use their guides and if you wanted to book an entire room you'd probably have to pay the "guiding" and meal costs of your "invisible" room-mates, otherwise they'd be out-of-pocket. Tramping in NZ is a group experience, all about cameraderie. However instead of asking us to hypothesise, why don't you ask the company?

San Francisco
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: routeburn track

It's not possible. The huts are a dormitory style place. If you hire a guide, they'll cook for you but you won't be getting a hotel room.

You will be able to hike the tramp without a guide though.

4. Re: routeburn track

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, November 08, 2010