We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving time from Te Anau to Milford Sound

Teesside, England
Level Contributor
1,555 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Driving time from Te Anau to Milford Sound

Can somebody please tell how long would it take to drive from Te Anau to Milford Sound.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Milford Sound
Milford Sound
4,634 Reviews
Te Anau, New Zealand
Teesside, England
Level Contributor
1,555 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving time from Te Anau to Milford Sound

Hi . . . . I see another posting says the drive is about 2 1/2 hrs.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,988 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving time from Te Anau to Milford Sound

The drive is actually just under two hours, but you also need 10 minutes to walk from the car park to the wharf plus the 20 minute check in time before your cruise. I therefore suggest you allow 2.5 hours.

Then on the return trip out to Te Anau, take a few extra hours to stop and explore all the sights :)

Teesside, England
Level Contributor
1,555 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving time from Te Anau to Milford Sound

Many thanks for your reply. We will be staying one night in Te Anau and three in Queenstown. I am wondering whether to drive to Milford Sound and just take a boat trip of push the boat out and take a flight over the whole area which includes a boat trip! We are in the area from 6th November until 10th.

Mentioned in this post
Milford Sound
Milford Sound
4,634 Reviews
Te Anau, New Zealand
Reston, Virginia
Level Contributor
280 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving time from Te Anau to Milford Sound

Are the major stopping points mainly on the left or the right side of the road? My husband and I are planning a self-drive trip to MS in January and plan to do either the first cruise or the last cruise of the day (they are cheaper!), depending on which side is more convenient to stop on.

Also, are there any websites with info on day hikes? I'd really like to do a few hours of "tramping" since we'll have more freedom in our schedule than if we took a bus tour. Thanks!

Reston, Virginia
Level Contributor
280 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving time from Te Anau to Milford Sound

*bump*

Can someone answer the question I added to this thread? Thanks!

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,988 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving time from Te Anau to Milford Sound

Hello Mkeith, welcome to the kiwi forum. Down this way we operate on NZ time and so if you post a question in the middle of our night chances are high we will all be asleep :)

to answer your questions;

The Milford Road has sights to visit on both the left and the right of the road. It makes no difference which direction you are driving as the sights are still accessible. The only important thing to remember is to always drive on the left.

The road has many great trails to explore;

…govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/…

The weather can be very changeable so even if the weather is glorious always take extra food, water, shelter and clothing in case of a sudden climatic change.

brisbane
Level Contributor
183 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving time from Te Anau to Milford Sound

We took 2 hours from Te Anau to Milford, but only because we slept in. We were booked on the 0855 Mitre Peak cruise wich I can thoroughly recommend. Mitre Peak have smaller boats and on our early tour we only had 13 passengers. If you travel later in the morning you risk being caught behind the convoy of tourist buses coming from Queenstown (we saw them all when we were travelling home). Our only regret was that we didn't have time to stop at Mirror Lake on the way as we had planned. Aparently the reflections are a lot clearer early in the morning before the wind picks up. Of course our return trip back to TeAnau took a lot longer because we were stopping along the way to look at and photograph the wonderful scenery.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
47 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving time from Te Anau to Milford Sound

The stopping points are mostly on the east side of the road...but it really doesn't matter. For me, I wanted to go to Milford Sound first, so I didn't have to worry about missing the boat when I made all of the stops. The road is a two lane highway and not that crowded (compared to European standards).

Mentioned in this post
Milford Sound
Milford Sound
4,634 Reviews
Te Anau, New Zealand
Reston, Virginia
Level Contributor
280 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving time from Te Anau to Milford Sound

Thanks for the helpful information, everyone! I've been lurking on the forum for the past several months. My trip is coming up in December/January and I'm quite excited!

10. Re: Driving time from Te Anau to Milford Sound

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, March 27, 2010