We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Doubtful Sound Overnight with Campervan

Which Te Anau hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
81 posts
Save Topic
Doubtful Sound Overnight with Campervan

Hi,

The planning for our December trip is coming on and I'm getting into booking things now...

London, United...
Level Contributor
81 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Doubtful Sound Overnight with Campervan

Sorry - hit return too soon! So, as I was saying...

We're touring in a campervan but planning to do an overnight cruise on Doubtful Sound from Te Anau. The cruise is booked.

Can anyone offer any advice / experience relating to how best to ensure the campervan's safety?

I've come across www.saferparking.co.nz and also note that the Te Anau Lakeview Holiday Park says it offers vehicle storage (teanauholidaypark.co.nz/teanau/FacilitiesTHP). I wonder if the Holiday Park are actually using saferparking since they're one of the listed pick up points.

So, although the Top 10 looks like the best place to stay I'm thinking we might be better off going with the Lakeview and sorting vehicle storage through them too.

Or, might we be better off just booking an extra night whereever we choose to stay (Top 10) and leaving the camper there?

Any advice would be welcome!

TCF

London, United...
Level Contributor
81 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Doubtful Sound Overnight with Campervan

Any comments would be very welcome!

Cheers,

TCF

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Doubtful Sound Overnight with Campervan

The majority of your fellow passengers on the overnight cruise will leave their vehicle in the overnight carpark. When I did the overnight that's what I did too.

You can check the Real Journeys website for more details :)

London, United...
Level Contributor
81 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Doubtful Sound Overnight with Campervan

In Manapouri then? I don't know if I missed that on the RJ website or just saw it so long ago that I forgot! I think I was worried that it's not secure so might not be a great idea for a camper...

Thanks for your response WanakaLakes!

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Doubtful Sound Overnight with Campervan

You're most welcome TC :)

There are no guarantees it will be 100% secure. Nothing is. But I haven't heard a single report of anything untoward happening in Manapouri or Te Anau.

Here in Wanaka, in the winter months when the town is full of skiers, there are numerous thefts reported from cars. Surprisingly, none of the cars are broken into, they have been left unlocked!! Many visitors seem to think it is perfectly fine to leave valuables in plain sight with the doors unlocked.

Please take precautions. Always lock the vehicle, don't leave windows wide open when the camper is unattended and keep all valuables out of sight.

A little common sense should see you right :)

London, United...
Level Contributor
81 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Doubtful Sound Overnight with Campervan

:-) I'd definitely rather be a little over cautions, but no sleepless nights over it! I'm planning so that I don't waste a morning in a wonderful location trying to work out where to park - there will be any number of far better things to be doing!!!

7. Re: Doubtful Sound Overnight with Campervan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, March 08, 2010