We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which tour company for milford cruise from Te Anau?

Which Te Anau hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Leicestershire
Level Contributor
96 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
which tour company for milford cruise from Te Anau?

Will be staying at the top 10 holiday park end of Sept in Te Anau, and would prefer to pre book a tour to Milford Sound as I will only have one day to get on a cruise.

I know Top10 have their own tour (which includes the underwater observatory), but just wondered what other tour companies offer, what else can be included, and which are recomended. Will have a car but prefer to let someone else do the driving and give commentary etc as I will be by myself.

Can't afford the flying option as will be doing the helihike at Fox glacier, so coach/cruise will do, any recommendations for good value/ good content, don't want to miss anything??

Te Anau
Destination Expert
for South Island, Te Anau
Level Contributor
2,802 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: which tour company for milford cruise from Te Anau?

The Top 10 tour is the equal of any on offer. They have a smaller coach, about 20 pax. Perhaps not as luxurious as some ot the larger coaches, but very acceptable.

All the tours will stop at the same view points, and will give an informative commentary. THere are not many optional extras with the Milford Sound tour. It's pretty much just driving through awe inspiring scenery and taking loads of photos.

Trips n Tramps offer a 'Big Day Out" which includes the chance to walk to the Key Summit, or visit the Lower Hollyford & museum plus a walk to the Humbolt Falls. Either of these options take about 1 hour.

On the sound there is the option of a 'Scenic' cruise, or a 'Nature' cruise. THese take the same route, but the Nature cruise will stop more often to look at wildlife etc.

If you take a coach & cruise option there will not be a choice of which boat you go on, as it's included as part of the package. If you particularly want the nature cruise (also called an 'Encounter' cruise), you would need to pick a tour which includes that option.

Leicestershire
Level Contributor
96 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: which tour company for milford cruise from Te Anau?

thanks for pointing out the cruise differences, I would much prefer the 'nature' option. The Top 10 trip is just described as a 'cruise' with BBQ lunch on board, so will have to investigate that a bit more.

Do you know of any other tour companies so I can look up their websites and book before I go?

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,041 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: which tour company for milford cruise from Te Anau?

Hi,

ones I know of are

Real Journeys

Red Boat (rebranding as Southern Encounters)

and I think it's Cruize Milford... or something similar.. call me a crazy pedant, but they lost me with that z in "Cruize" LOL ...but then maybe that's their plan LOL

you'll probably come up with more if you google on www.google.co.nz and do a NZ websites only search.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
94 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: which tour company for milford cruise from Te Anau?

Hey Ladyluck!

We did the bus/cruise/bus option with Mitre Peak in June just gone & I would HIGHLY recommend it!

The coach driver was really cool, funny, informative & made a huge effort to talk to passengers on our designated stops. He grew up in the area & was really knowledgable & interesting.

The boat cruise itself was one of the major highlights of our 2 week trip in NZ. Really, I encourage everyone to go to Milford & discover it's beauty.

We have 9 & 6 yr old kids & they were just transfixed too. The dolphins were amazing, I had to hang on to the kids so they didn't jump in with them!!

Our bus picked us up around 9.15am & we were back 'home' around 4.30pm, just like the brochure/website said.

The captain of the cruise welcomed our kids to come up to his deck & have a look, let them 'drive' the boat & kept all passengers well informed of each highlight.

We chose to pack our own lunch & were happy with the complimentary tea/coffee on board. I knew I could feed my little family of 4 for much less than the menu prices offered.

We chose Mitre Peak cruises after a decent level of investigation. Price was friendly to our budget & the size of the boat meant we could get closer to certain attractions that larger vessels couldnt apparently.

On the way back to Te Anau, we were afforded complimentary snacks which we munched on while others took a nap in the comfort of a wonderful coach!

No hesitation in recommending Mitre Peak!

Happy travels!

R :)

Barry, Wales, UK
Level Contributor
261 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: which tour company for milford cruise from Te Anau?

We stayed at the Kiwi site in Te Anau during May We booked the Milford trip on arrival the afternoon before.We had a small bus, there were only 3 of us ,the 3rd passenger was picked up at a hotel. The driver was excelant. Before leaving the sound he asked if and where we would like to make more photo stops on the way back.The boat was real journeys which put up sails which made the trip more magical even for 2 people who don't like boats.

london
Level Contributor
47 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: which tour company for milford cruise from Te Anau?

Hello,

We just went to Milford Sound with Trips and Tramps and they were great. The two of us were the only people on the trip so we had great personal service and really enjoyed the stops along the way and commentary etc.

Recommended.

Leicestershire
Level Contributor
96 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: which tour company for milford cruise from Te Anau?

thanks very much guys, always prefer to go with something recommended. Can't wait.

South Island
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
1,397 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: which tour company for milford cruise from Te Anau?

Make sure the tour you use has a glass roof coach. It makes a tremendous difference.

9. Re: which tour company for milford cruise from Te Anau?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, February 12, 2010