We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Milford Track - where to stay the night before???

Sydney
Level Contributor
86 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Milford Track - where to stay the night before???

Hi, I'm planning Milford Track later this year... is it best to stay in Te Anau or Queenstown on the night before? We're doing an Ultimate Hikes walk and I believe we have the option of staying at either..

Canberra
Level Contributor
6 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Milford Track - where to stay the night before???

Hi Aussieshorty,

Te Anau is best, plenty of all types of accommodation available. Queenstown is too far away for an early start. Don't forget the Aeroguard (heavy duty stuff too)for the sandflies, they are terrible.

Have fun.

Te Anau
Destination Expert
for South Island, Te Anau
Level Contributor
3,401 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Milford Track - where to stay the night before???

The Preamble( pre walk briefing) is held in Queenstown. As far as I know there is no briefing in Te Anau. ( There used to be, but no longer). For this reason you are better to spend the night in Queenstown. I think the walk also starts from there, by coach. I imagine you could forgoe the preamble, and join the coach in Te Anau, but there is probably no compelling reason to do so.

Check on the Ultimate Hikes web site for more ino.

Queenstown
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Milford Track - where to stay the night before???

oops I am not sure if I posted that previous message, my internet connection timed out! Anyway, hi it's Jemma here from Ultimate Hikes. We definitely advise you to stay in Queenstown the night prior to and post your departure on the walk. The pre-track briefing at our head office is very important to ensure you have the correct equipment (we can provide you with a backpack, rain jacket and sleep sheet free of charge), we also have an extensive retail shop in the same building for any last minute track necessities. It also provides an opportunity to ask any questions, to watch a DVD detailing exactly what to expect and of course to meet the people who you will be walking with. If you stay at the same hotel when you return you can leave your luggage and (always check with your hotel) car there whilst you are away on the track.

There is an option to depart from Te Anau but this is on special request. We also then hold a special briefing for you there in the morning prior to the rest of the group from Queenstown arriving for lunch.

I hope this helps, what ever you decide ensure that you are in communication with our office info@ultimatehikes.co.nz and let them know your plans, they can then advise if they are feesable or not and arrange the necessary logistics at our end. Rest assured you will have a truely fantastic experience! We look forward to seeing you on the track!

East Cape, North...
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Milford Track - where to stay the night before???

I agree with staying in Queenstown the night before for all the reasons above.

Independant walkers may also consider that this is your last opportunity to buy some frozen meat you may want to eat on your first night on the track. It will be thawed nicely by the time you stop at the first hut. Of course its also your last opportunity to have a hot shower and a big cooked breakfast for the next few days too !

"Guided" walkers are well catered for on the track so this may not be as big a concern for some.

Sure, it's a very early start the next morning when you leave Queenstown by coach via Te Anau then onto Te Anau downs. You then board the ferry at Glade Wharf. But on these legs of the journey you are a passenger on a coach or ferry, not very strenuous at all! Either enjoy the scenery or snooze.

When you get off the ferry for the first leg of the Milford track it is the shortest and easiest section of the entire walk.

This is the same whether you are stopping overnight at a "Guided" Milford walk hut or walking a little further to the CLINTON Hut (DOC) for independant walkers.

Either way, leaving from Queenstown by early morning coach and arriving at your first overnight hut on the track is VERY achievable before the late afternoon.

Just make sure you spray yourself with the insect repellant BEFORE you get on the ferry. The crew on the ferry get a little upset being in an enclosed cabin with many walkers spraying themselves at the same time. There's plenty of signage in the cabin asking people not to spray but not every traveller can read english.

5. Re: Milford Track - where to stay the night before???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:20 pm, September 24, 2009