We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 night or 2 ???

Newcastle upon Tyne
Level Contributor
1,090 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
1 night or 2 ???

We are landing at Queenstown at 4.30pm and are going to drive down to TA so we are nearer to MS the next morning. We plan to do the cruise, then sightsee and maybe a bit of a walk on Mitford Track and then to the glowworm caves. Is there much else to see around that area (sorry about my naivety) or should we head back to Queenstown rather than spend 2 nights in TA?

We are only here for 5 nights/4 days and also plan to go to Arrowtown and Wanaka. Don't want to try and cram in all the glaciers too or it will be too much of a wild dash to places.

Thanks again in advance for all your help.

Michelle

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
12,417 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 night or 2 ???

I don't see how you can fit in everything you want to do and stay only one night. You will arrive late on the first day due to your flight to Queenstown arriving at 4:30 pm, so you'll already be spending one night in Te Anau. Then, the tour/cruise to Milford Sound is a day long affair with you getting back to Te Anau around 5pm. You could get cleaned up, eat dinner and then go on the late tour to the glowworm caves which departs around 8pm. (We did this tour and it was great because it was relatively uncrowded and we came back on the boat after dark.) Then you would spend a 2nd night in Te Anau. If you don't want to do both the cruise and the glowworm caves on the same day, you'll need to stay at least half-a-day on the 3rd day to visit the glowworm cave.

Perth
Level Contributor
574 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 night or 2 ???

Why not do the late glow worm cruise on arrival at Te Anau? I think the previous poster says it departs at 8pm so if you clear the airport and get to Te Anau around 7pm you could head down and manage it. Then an early start the next morning for the first Milford Cruise (ask your accommodation to mind your suitcases for you); a leisurely drive back with a walk and then pick up cases and back into Queenstown before dark. It is tight but you could do it.

I know how you feel about fitting it all in but it you could then have 1 night in Te Anau, and then you have the 4 nights (3 days) left to do the rest - and you will need it!!

California
Level Contributor
1,128 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 night or 2 ???

Michelle, five nights in gorgeous New Zealand are not very many. But still, that's five nights in paradise! How long is your flight? I'm wondering how tired you will be when your flight lands in Queenstown. Will you be ready for a drive?

I don't think you can do a bit of a walk on Milford track. Maybe I'm confused, but I think Milford track is one way only and it takes five nights, and you need a reservation. However you can do a bit of a walk on the Routeburn track. The Routeburn track is accessible from both Queenstown and Te Anau. We hiked it as a day hike from both ends, and we really enjoyed it.

Since you have five nights, I suggest three nights in Queenstown, and two nights in Te Anau.

From Queenstown, it's about a 40 Minute drive to the peaceful and beautiful Glenorchy area. In that direction is also one end of the trail head for the Routeburn track.

If you have time while you are staying in Te Anau, spend some time driving down the Milford Road where there are many interesting places to stop, such as the mirror Lakes, and other lovely stops. If it is raining, there will be gorgeous water falls pouring down along the road when you are almost to the bottom near the Milford sound.

Have a wonderful time. We have beautiful memories of our 25th anniversary trip to New Zealand in February 2007.

I have not been on the forums much lately, due to a shoulder injury. I am writing this with a new program called Dragon which types what you speak. It's pretty cool but hard to get used to.

Have a beautiful trip. Of all the places you have mentioned, I think the fiordland with Milford sound and doubtful sound are the most incredible.I should also mention that Queenstown makes a fun base because of the big variety of tasty restaurants.

4. Re: 1 night or 2 ???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:19 pm, September 18, 2009