We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodation in Te Anau

Which Te Anau hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
Level Contributor
30 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Accommodation in Te Anau

I have planned to stay in Te Anau for 2 nights on the advice of several people here. Anyway upon looking for some decent accommodation in Te Anau I have realised there does not appear to be any at all?????

They mostly look like run down motels and or way over priced apartments, are their any decent places to stay that are under 260nzd a night??? I have basically looked at ever place listed on here and not found 1.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,293 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accommodation in Te Anau

I'm sure vbc will be along shortly to "sort" you out! ;)

Do not get hung up on your accommodation options, there is far more to see outside the 4 walls of your room for you to be worried about how you'll manage inside for 2 nights.

What you have to realise is that Te Anau has a population of maybe 500 or so, it is more or less a service town for the Sounds. It's inside a National Park (so no more land to build new "flash, fancy" or "grand" hotel & motels) Most of the accommodation that is there are circa 1980-early 90s. They may not be the epitome of 2007 sophistication but they will be clean and tidy!

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,293 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accommodation in Te Anau

OK two thirds of the population had gone to the big smoke the day I did my count, the pop. is actually about 1800.

Velcrochicken, really you must go and enjoy the outdoors and the fabulous scenery, it's just too good to miss!

Australia
Level Contributor
30 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Accommodation in Te Anau

Hehe yeah upon thinking about it a little more you are right, I shouldnt get so hung up on the accommodation. I for some reason looked straight passed Campbell AutoLodge(even though its on the top) which looks to be pretty decent. Sorry this thread is really a waste of time!

But since I created it 2 more questions. Are their glow worm tours operating in July/August & are Milford day cruises operating at all.

Thanks!

Te Anau
Destination Expert
for South Island, Te Anau
Level Contributor
2,908 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accommodation in Te Anau

Zappers, why do you leave me to do the dirty work?? I'm not into sorting anyone out; hard enough sorting myself out.

Velcrochicken is right up to a point. There are no first class hotels in Te Anau, and with a couple of exceptions, most motels are 20 odd years old. Most however have been extensively refurbished a number of times, and in my opinion give good value for money, but Palazo Versace they are not. Prices run from about $100 to $200 per night for a motel, and up to around $300 for a hotel room. This is no more expensive than a room in , say, Chevron Renaiscence in Surfers, or the Aria in Broadbeach, which run about A$1200 to A$1500 per week, with no room service.

You can argue that these are newer propeties, and of course they are, but even older properties, such as the Breakfree Beachcomber run about A$800 to $1000 per week, so in my view Te Anau is no too far away in terms of value.

Anyway, if you read my reply to Zapper's other post re advance booking, you will find that there is virtually no accommodation available in Te Anau for this month, so you might not need to worry about where to stay.

Te Anau
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,908 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Accommodation in Te Anau

Sorry, forgot about the glow worms.

All trips on Te Anau and Milford Sound operate through the year, but on reduced schedules. The overnight Doubtful cruise is not operating.

If you are coming in June/July prices are much lower, so motels are actually quite good value.

Colorado
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Accommodation in Te Anau

Hi Velcrochicken,

My hubby & I stayed 3 nights at Campbells in Jan07, (is it really March already?). Like vbc mentioned, Campbells is one of the older establishments, but the room we had was renovated with a new kitchen area that included a full size refrigerator, sink, small stove, and microwave. There were 2 color tv's (not huge, but completely adequate). Not many channels, (as most of NZ) but had Sky Movies. Bathroom had been upgraded. Bedroom had a queen and a single. Living area had 3 comfy chairs & end tables plus dinette table & chairs. I think it was $180NZ a night.

The view from the front room is awesome, overlooking their flower garden and Lake TeAnau across the main street. Campbells is about a 5-10 min walk to the downtown area (which is advisable since parking is somewhat limited since as mentioned Te Anau is a small town). There were 2 grocery stores downtown that had plenty of choices to take back to the room, which is mostly what we did. Easy walk to the helipad if you want to take a helicopter ride or other activites based on lake front.

TeAnau like mentioned many times before is about a 2 hour awesome drive to Milford Sound, so makes a much closer base than Queenstown.

Did I miss anything?

Cheers, Numindset

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
58 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Accommodation in Te Anau

We recently stayed at the Blue Thistle Cottages in Te Anau. Website: www.bluethistlecottages.com

They are new accomodations and very nice.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
199 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Accommodation in Te Anau

Oh my Lord...please check out Campbell's Auto Lodge. Although it's not what some people might consider as "swanky" it is wonderful. The rooms are quite spacious and all of them have wonderful views of the lake across the street.

Ask for room #11 - it has a VERY comfortable king size bed.

vbc has done an exceptional job of keeping his place very clean & tidy! His hospitality & charm can't be beat!

Te Anau
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,908 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Accommodation in Te Anau

Awww shucks :-) Thanks Pitapita.

Colorado
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Accommodation in Te Anau

have to ditto everything PitaPita said!!!

The charm & hospitality of Campbell's is excellent... vbc even went above & beyond and many extra miles to help me check to see if my photos really got saved on a dvd before deleting them from the camera card... of course it might have helped that I've been I've been following & been reassured by his local expert posts here since July!