We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How scary is rafting?

Which Queenstown hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
sydney
3 posts
Save Topic
How scary is rafting?

Hello,

I am considering going white water rafting when I visit Queenstown as it seems like an amazing experience. However, I am a complete novice and a bit of a scaredy cat. Can anyone advise on which river would be best for a nervous nelly and which businesses are recommended? Or should I just forget it and try quieter activities? Any advice would be most appreciated.

Nervous nelly

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,310 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How scary is rafting?

You want rapids that are graded 2-3, do not go for grades 4-5 you will scare yourself @$#%less!!!!

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,310 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How scary is rafting?

Real Journeys has a Kawarau Rafting option on this site that may suit you;

www.realjourneys.co.nz/Main/RiverRafting/

sydney
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How scary is rafting?

Thanks so much Zappers. I did not have much idea of what the grades meant, so will look out for 2-3's. I had a look at Real Journeys and it sounds good.

Cheers.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
25 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How scary is rafting?

If you have an interest, definitely do it. My husband and I went rafting on the Shotover River in Decemeber. It was, if I remember correctly a 4 river at the time and there were 6 - 5 rapids. They said they had to cancel the trips the day before because the river was too high and too dangerous. It was the best part of our 4 week trip. Neither of us had rafted before and it was not a problem. I don't want to say that it's a walk in the park but the majority of people there had no experience. However, you do need to be in good health and be up for the physical activity because you have to move the boat - it's not a ride. That all said, rafting wasn't the scary part, the road up the river was the most terrifying journey I have ever been on. The "road" is a two-way dirt road that barely fits the bus. There are signs all over stating your car is not insured on this road. They proudly state at one point that the front right wheel of the bus is off the road on one turn. My one suggestion is to take the helicopter to the launch site if you can afford it. If not, sit in the back, inside of the bus if you have any fear of heights. Again, despite the ride, I highly recommend the rafting. It was a blast!

Have fun!

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,310 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How scary is rafting?

The infamous Skipper's Canyon!

sydney
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: How scary is rafting?

Oh my, gregandsom you have just given me a new fear! I had not even considered that it would be scary off the water aswell. :)Actually, it sounds fantastic, and I will definitely give it a go. Thanks for the encouragement.

Queenstown, New...
Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How scary is rafting?

Why don' t you do a Heli Raft where instead of driving into Skippers, you arrive by helicopter? Queenstown Rafting and Challenge Rafting both offer this option and it's not that much more expensive than driving in.

But if you are not very confident in the water, I wouldnt' suggest you even contemplate going on the Shotover. The Kawarau River may be more your speed, and every bit as scenic with Lord of the RIngs locations along the way.

California
Level Contributor
366 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How scary is rafting?

I am one of the biggest scaredy cats ever, and I still went rafting in the US in VA-WV-Washington D.C.

The grades were 2-3 and I was STILL scared shitless. It is a ton of fun and I would definitely do it again. My biggest concern is falling out, then what! what if you hit your head on a rock? LOL ... but.... that won't stop me from going again.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,310 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How scary is rafting?

Oh great boppy, your logic is to kill two birds with one stone no doubt! Not only has she a fear of rafting but I bet there's one for flying as well, especially in a tiny bubble in the sky! ;)

10. Re: How scary is rafting?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:20 am, August 18, 2009