We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

questions i need answers to!

london
Level Contributor
37 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
questions i need answers to!

Which Fox Glacier helihike do you recommend? Morning or afternoon?

Is Blenheim worth an overnight stop?

What time do you recommend the whalewatch tour at Kaikoura?

We are in the sound island from 28th Feb until 13 March. I can't wait!!

thanks for your help. :o)

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,408 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: questions i need answers to!

1) take the morning one, the weather may have closed in by the afternoon (or visa versa if it's raining in the morning by afternoon it could have cleared.

2) If you're intending to sample the local wineries then definitly yes

3) The earlier the better before the sea breeze gets up and the water choppy also sealife tends to be active early morning and late afternoon. Either way make sure you take a sea-sickness remedy, nothing will spoil your trip more than feeling ill, it's not the choppy waves that will do it it's the slow lazy swell of the ocean and the movement of the boat.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
119 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: questions i need answers to!

I got back from the SI two weeks ago... did all three things you're asking about.

I arrived in Fox late on a Sunday, stayed all Monday, and left Tuesday morning. I arranged for a morning heli-hike... and when it was canceled I rescheduled for later in the day. I suggest early if for no other reason than flexibility! If the final hike at 3pm doesn't go out... and you're up for more of a challenge... they will still run a 1/2 day hike that you can catch at 3pm.

Blenheim is not worth a brief overnight, but it IS worth a whole day to visit the amazing vineyards... if you are a white wine fan that is!

Kaikoura... mornings you tend to get more wildlife activity... but the way they track whales is to spot one in the morning... and then watch him all day. They time the dives... they are usually 40-50 minutes and won't stray far from the location of the last surfacing. So it's somewhat predictable. Thus, they've nailed down locations and timing better at the end of the day. On the other hand... those are some ROUGH waters and I hear they are calmer earlier in the day typically...

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,408 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: questions i need answers to!

The reason for the overnight stay in Blenheim does depend on how much you imbibe, our drink driving laws are pretty tough (which they should be)

Australia
Level Contributor
365 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: questions i need answers to!

On teh subject of what time to whale watch, we had a couple here not long ago that had done a whale watch tour, they said the boats get so full later in the day that you literally cannot move from one side of the boat to the other, so reccomended an early departure boat.

Colorado
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: questions i need answers to!

re: whale watching... we will be in Kaikoura Jan 28 and want to do the tour. It does seem early morning is best... but how early? They have a 7:15am, 9am, 9:30am and 10am. I was thinking the 9am since it may be a little warmer, but should I reconsider and think about the 7:15am instead?

btw... have missed reading the forums for the last couple of months, got busy with life... see they started a humor sticky...

;-) Marcha

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,408 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: questions i need answers to!

HA! missed seeing that Marcha, shows how much notice I take. AND shows how much humour TA have- nothing attached and 12 days already!

We'll see soon enough just how much humour the administrators indeed have, as far as I can see, anything slightly funny gets instantly zapped, not looking anywhere in particular ..........vbc!

Of course a kiwi sense of humour may offend an american's one!

london
Level Contributor
37 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: questions i need answers to!

Thank you all for your much needed advice. Ok, Helihike early, whale watch early and afternoon/eve at Blenheim and a stay overnight. Can anyone recommend any good b&bs or hostels near the wineries (thinking about walking instead of taking the car!)? Also any recommendations for wineries??

Many thanks!

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
119 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: questions i need answers to!

Bella - RE: Blenheim info... I recently wrote two trip reports you might find useful.

This one on my South Island trip (you might find it useful starting with the 4th paragraph... and specifically my notes about staying at the Chateau Marlborogh):

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g255116-i729-k8982…

And this one was a winery report from a few I visited:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g255116-i729-k8996…

Colorado
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: questions i need answers to!

hey zappers... i thought your story about the pie pan falling on the dinner table would have made the humor forum, it certainly made me laugh!!

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,408 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: questions i need answers to!

Had me thinking then...............It was a baked bean tin! :)