We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving Route Wanaka to Queenstown

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
353 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Driving Route Wanaka to Queenstown

Hi

We will be driving from Wanaka to Queenstown on the 22nd OCT we were going to take route 6 all the way. But i can see from the map that there is a route from Wanaka passing through a town (which i think is a ski resort) Cardrona and meeting up again with route 6. Would we save much time taking this route or will we stick with route 6? We will have a hire car, from what i understand some of the road is tarred and some is not. Any suggestions please!!

Thanks

Te Anau
Destination Expert
for South Island, Te Anau
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving Route Wanaka to Queenstown

Hi Chuckenpen,

Both roads are equally good. THe Crown Range road is the highest main road in New Zealand, and there are quite few hairpin beds coming off the Crown Terrace into Arrowtown, but it's no problem

The Crown Range route would be about 1/2 hour shorter that the main road, which goes via Cromwell and the Kawarau Gorge. Both roads are fully sealed.

Which you choose would depend on your interests. The main route (Hwy6) goes through fruit growing areas, and from Cromwell to Queenstown it follows the Kawarau river, where most of the regions vineyards and wineries are. You also pass the Bungy jump bridge (well, one of them, anyway)

The Crown Range has great views once you are over the summit, and is probably a more interresting road. There is no town at Cardrona, although the historic Cardrona Hotel is still there, and worth a stop.

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
353 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving Route Wanaka to Queenstown

Hi VBC

Thank you for the insight.It sounds like The Crown Range road has beautiful scenery i think we will go this route. Thank you so much for reply, i really appreciate it.

Te Anau
Destination Expert
for South Island, Te Anau
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving Route Wanaka to Queenstown

Good choice, Chuck, Have a great trip.

Cheers

Norfolk, UK
Level Contributor
133 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving Route Wanaka to Queenstown

Hi Chuck,

We came to Queenstown through the Crown Range route in March. VBC's right it is VERY windy and bendy, especially the part coming down to join the 6 again, you're practically doing figure 8's coming down that part but so long as you take it steady (and you can't do anything but!!) Its well worth it, the only thing we found was that because the hire car was an automatic we were riding the break a lot, I should think it'd be so much easier with a manual..

Nia x

5. Re: Driving Route Wanaka to Queenstown

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:34 am, August 20, 2009