We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

milford sound in march ,20 march

Which Queenstown hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
1,274 posts
121 reviews
Save Topic
milford sound in march ,20 march

How will be weather in march at milford ?actually i am confused whether i should book accomodation at te anau ,as we are going all the way from queenstown to te anau only for milford nd if weather is not good ,nd we cudnt visit milford ,its all waste going from queenstown to te anau ..can i get to know weather forecast 2 days before abt milford rains and is the wear

Ther predicted correct .cos at times weather forecast does go wrong ..

Cheers

Vimmy

Oz
Level Contributor
11,446 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: milford sound in march ,20 march

Hi,

Milford is spectacular in the rain as all the waterfalls are "doing their thing". It is also one of the wettest places on the planet so make sure you take rain wear with you. Don't be put off by rain it improves the experience.

Cheers,

Queenstown
Level Contributor
25 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: milford sound in march ,20 march

I agree with OZRCFLYER - Milford is my favourite in the rain, lots of amazing waterfalls and still stunning.

March normally tends to be quite settled, chillier in the evenings but generally good weather but you are in the mountains so anything can happen. Come prepared for all weather

There are plenty of bus tours that head to Milford on a day tour, Mitre Peak , Kiwi Discovery, Awesome Bus, Great Sights, Select, BBQ bus to name a few or you can book an overnight with Real Journeys - bit more expensive but a good option if you have more time.

So I wouldn't worry about the weather, Like the saying goes "there is never the wrong weather just the wrong clothes"

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: milford sound in march ,20 march

Te Anau is a great wee town on a gorgeous lake - you certainly won't be 'wasting' time if you stay there, wet or fine.

And yes, Milford in the rain is glorious.

Enjoy :)

mumbai,india
Level Contributor
12 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: milford sound in march ,20 march

Hi, Queenstown NZL,

Well said.........

Could not resist to applaud........................

So I wouldn't worry about the weather, Like the saying goes "there is never the wrong weather just the wrong clothes"

We are visiting NZ in March - April ..

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
2,266 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: milford sound in march ,20 march

Gotta agree with everyone else that getting lots of rain is the lucky option on Milford Road. I had the fortune to drive the road on both a perfectly clear day and on a day when it was raining heavily, and no contest: it's way better on a rainy day.

Also, everyone I talked to on the South Island said to never trust a forecast that goes father ahead than tomorrow.

Edited: 2:36 pm, March 03, 2013
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
2,266 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: milford sound in march ,20 march

To give you an idea, here's a video I took at the Homer Tunnel (forgive the quality, as my digital camera doesn't take great video) on a rainy day back in November:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAAt0XpCu4c

The video really does no justice though. Those waterfalls look small in it but they're pretty big in real life.

7. Re: milford sound in march ,20 march

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, March 05, 2014