The trip is for a family of four; one advanced, two intermediate teenagers and a beginner.
I was planning on flying in to Queenstown and... well it seems to me I have two choices:
(a) hire a car stay, probably, around Queenstown drive in for meals in the evening, and drive up to the snow fields, -or-
(b) stay in Queenstown, and rely on shuttle buses to take us up to the slopes each day.
1) So how much do the buses cost? (Per person, return). Is it the same for The Remarkables, Coronet Peak & Cadrona? (Treble Cones got to be more expensive, right?)
2) If I hired a car how likely am I to need chains? (I mainly ski in NSW where I've carried chains for twenty years and used them, I think, three times -- I get the impression that NZ is different and that you would have to fit the chains every day -- is that right?). Any recomendations for Car hire companies in Queenstown?
3) Any other considerations I should factor in?
4) How many of Queenstown's other activities are a realistic proposition in Winter? I'm guessing not jet boating, but what about day trip to Milford Sound (boat cruises?).
5) Any advice Queenstown vs Wanaka? I'm too old for bar-hopping and clubbing and the kids are too young, so I'm not too fussed about Queenstown's apres-ski and night life.
Thanks in advance for any insights...