We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help needed on honeymoon planning in Feb 2013

Which Queenstown hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mumbai...
Level Contributor
37 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
help needed on honeymoon planning in Feb 2013

Dear All,

I am planning to fly to Auckland from Mumbai on 27th Feb 2013 for my honeymoon. Your valuable feedback on below plan would be very much appreciated.

Land in Auckland at 11.45 pm.

Check-in to hotel around 2 am.

Day 1 - Auckland city tour - Sky tower, Mt. Eden, Tamaki Drive, Mission Bay Beach. Auckland nightlife

Day 2 - Drive to Bay of Islands in afternoon - Cape Reinga - Overnight in Bay of Islands

Day 3 - Hole in the Rock cruise. Head back to Auckland for overnight stay

I wish to cover the following in South Island (not in this order) + additional input is most welcome:

Tranzalpine train to greymouth or similar - punakaiki - arthur pass - franz joseph - mt. cook - wanaka -queenstown -te anau -milford sound and/or doubtful sound- glenorchy

Day 4 - fly to Christchurch or Queenstown

Option 1: Fly to Christchurch and eventually fly from queenstown to auckland to mumbai

Option 2: Fly to Queenstown-drive north and then fly from Christchurch to Auckland to Mumbai

(need help on itinerary to cover the above areas of interest)

I have 12 days in NZ in total. I will be the only person driving throughout the trip so want it a bit relaxed. Also, if someone could enlighten on the driving distances and appropriate hotels for overnight stay keeping in mind the above attractions.

Is it OK to skip Franz Joseph if i am covering Mt. Cook and the Glacier Explorers.

Thanks in Advance

Cheers,

Praveen.

Mumbai...
Level Contributor
37 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: help needed on honeymoon planning in Feb 2013

Well noted.

On my way back from Te Anau, I would be staying in Queenstown for a night and then leave for Wanaka. So i am hoping this should be OK.

Pleasanton...
Level Contributor
15 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: help needed on honeymoon planning in Feb 2013

I highly recommend Scott Cook's "NZ Frenzy" books -- he has one for both islands. I think you can buy them on his website and download for less than I bought them on amazon.com

I just got back from primarily the south island -- had a GREAT time. I only had one day in Auckland and can highly recommend the on/off tour bus. I got on it down by the wharf and you can get on/off anytime it stops and they tell you when another bus will be back. I really really liked the war museum which was one of the stops.

South Island -- I would highly recommend flying into Q-town if that is the area you are going to spend most of your time. CC is unfortunately very depressing due to the 2010 quake and the aftermath. I flew into CC, rented an RV, went north to Blenheim for a day (stopped/camped in Kaikoura), Hanmer Springs (loved that place), over Arthur's Pass (of course stopping in all the incredible places to hike that Scott recommended -- there is a cave that is absolutely amazing), camped outside Hakitika, did the glaciers, Q-town, Milford Sound, drove further south which I would NOT recommend, I would drive from Q-town up towards Mt Cook and see the lake area (we got there but spent too much time driving down to Invercargill), skip Dunedin -- not worth the time, and then ended back in CC.

The only thing I would do differently is not go further south than Q-town, go up to the northwest area and possibly Nelson. As I mentioned, I would not go to Dunedin either. We are very outdoorsy and there just wasn't that much to see in the south that we couldn't see otherwise (sea life for example). Hope that helps.

Pleasanton...
Level Contributor
15 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: help needed on honeymoon planning in Feb 2013

Praveen,

One other thing, I think you can skip the glaciers. Honestly, not all that exciting. Milford Sound ... don't miss! Another highlight for us was Lake Tekapo. Amazing!

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
959 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: help needed on honeymoon planning in Feb 2013

Are your flights booked? Why not fly into Christchurch and out from Auckland? It pretty much cost same or as of now it is showing cheaper.

15. Re: help needed on honeymoon planning in Feb 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, December 09, 2013