We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Comparison between Dart Stables, Moonlight Stables, Ben Lom

Which Queenstown hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
29 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Comparison between Dart Stables, Moonlight Stables, Ben Lom

Hi All,

I am going to Queenstown this December for 3 nights. I definitely want to do horse back riding one day but I am totally confused which one to book? Trip Advisor has Dart Stables, Moonlight, and Ben Lomond Station Horse Trekking Company in roughly the top 20 or so things to do categories but there is not enough information to distinguish the three. The price difference isnt much and all of them seem to offer the same stuff. I want the most scenic trail that is not just on flat lands but through mountains etc? Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Saqib

Level Contributor
306 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Comparison between Dart Stables, Moonlight Stables, Ben Lom

All good operators utilizing different geography. Moonlight on a working farm, rolling terrain in shadow of Remarkables. Dart, on river flats surrounded by spectacular mountain scenery near Glenorchy. Ben Lomond, actually up in Mountains near Moke Lake - again in stunning landscape

2. Re: Comparison between Dart Stables, Moonlight Stables, Ben Lom

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 6:05 pm, August 27, 2012
Edited: 6:05 pm, August 27, 2012
New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Comparison between Dart Stables, Moonlight Stables, Ben Lom

The scenery at the Dart River is spectacular - that would be my pick.

Ben Lomond will be be fabulously stunning.

Moonlight is lovely, though not breathtaking.

Perhaps after your trip return and let us know which you chose and how you found it? It could be a big help to future travellers :)

Dunedin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
533 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Comparison between Dart Stables, Moonlight Stables, Ben Lom

For some off-the-flat riding, Dart Stables have 'Ride of the Rings'. The route climbs through beech forests and up into the mountains, visiting film shooting locations along the way. Spectacular views.

tripadvisor.com.au/Attraction_Review-g255122…

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
29 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Comparison between Dart Stables, Moonlight Stables, Ben Lom

Thanks for the comments.

It seems like it is between Dart Stables and Ben Lomond. I am in a win-win situation because both these seem to be in good scenery :). I will definitely follow-up after I decide which one I take.

I did hear about "Dart Stables" taking through Lord of the Rings scenery but that is not a big factor for me as I am not a movie buff. Just trying to figure out what would be most beautiful scenery. I am really interested in riding in the mountains so I am still torn. Does Dart stables not take through any mountains??? If Dart stables goes through a mountain or so I will opt for it over Lomond. I will be staying in Hilton, Queenstown, but I dont think it is a factor because both Lomond and Dart seem to have some sort of transportation.

Any further comments will be appreciated :). Sorry to keep bothering everyone.

Dunedin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
533 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Comparison between Dart Stables, Moonlight Stables, Ben Lom

"Does Dart stables not take through any mountains??? "

Dart Stables did respond to your original question about riding in the mountains. Unfortunately, they probably oversold their services a little too much and the post was removed by TA

Such businesses are allowed to respond to a specific question asked. But not allowed to self-promote. It's a thin line to walk sometimes.

The following from their website

"This amazing 1 1/2 hour horse ride takes place in Paradise, 22km north of Glenorchy, overlooking a World Heritage Area. Winding through the golden woods of Lothlórien, passing Amon Hen, the ride climbs to 2000 feet above sea level. From here the views over Isengard, the Wizard's Vale and the mighty peak of Methedras are breathtaking."

Check their website and make direct contact for more details.

http://www.dartstables.com/riding-options

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
29 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Comparison between Dart Stables, Moonlight Stables, Ben Lom

Thanks friends. I have what I need. I will let you know how it goes :).

8. Re: Comparison between Dart Stables, Moonlight Stables, Ben Lom

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, December 16, 2013