We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another itinery

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
9 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Another itinery

Can someone point out if I have missed anything obvious. We are down 14-17 July (getting excited now). This is a surprise so I haven't got my partner to bounce ideas off of. I've have tried to come up with something that leaves time to explore but just don't want to miss any thing obvious.

We don't have a car (I decided to spend the money on more luxurious accomodation and skiing). Everything I have bought so far has been bookme/grabone etc so we have a little money to go somewhere nice for lunch/dinner one night. (I've been planning for 4 months so could purchase things slowly over time).

My partner grew up in Queenstown but hasn't been back in over 20 yrs. I have never been.

14/7 - Arrive 9am. Bus to city and drop bags at hotel for check in in the afternoon. Fish and chips for lunch by the lake (hopefully weather ok). And day to spend walking around lake, up mountain, look in town etc. Evening gondala up skyline for dusk view (I don't want to do the restaurant up there, can someone advise if we are allowed to take snacks/bottle of wine up and sit somewhere on the mountain where there might be a view?)

15/7 - Bus to Arrowtown to look around. If my partner wants, bus to Kelvin Heights where he grew up to look at area

16/7 - Skiing (we'll get a shuttle up either Coronet or Remarkables depending on weather - I haven't been before but my partner is good so any recommendation?)

17/7 - Million Dollar Cruise booked for 11am already. Lunch somewhere nice after and then flight back departs 4:45

I also have entry & cocktail to Below Zero which we can just do whenever we have time in town and I'm thinking about the deal on bookme for wine tastes for an afternoon session on the 14th or 15th. Only thing is my hotel deal includes bottle of wine each night - not sure if we will be all wined out! :) Finally, I have already paid for one evening meal at Avanti.

Bascially at this point I can move around/change things on the 14 and 15th if anyone has any must see/do ideas. I'm happy if something has a small cost but not too costly (eg we won't be bungying/paragliding (which i'd love) or similar).

Edited: 4:38 pm, July 03, 2012
New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,636 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Another itinery

What a fabulous trip you are planning :)

Another activity to consider - take the bus to the bungee jumping at the Kawarau bridge. It's very entertaining to watch. Then you can walk along the Gibbston River Trail past many vineyards. …govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/…

The vineyards offer tastings and many have great lunches/snacks. Then later you could catch the bus back into Queenstown.

If wanting to lunch, check with the i-SITE or with the individual vineyards to confirm the one you want is open through winter.

Queenstown has been exceptionally chilly the past few weeks but the days are stunning. Enjoy :)

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
9 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Another itinery

thanks for the feedback. i'll add that to the list.

cheers

3. Re: Another itinery

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:47 pm, July 09, 2013