We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to Pack????

Mackay
Level Contributor
31 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
What to Pack????

So at the risk of sounding stupid I'm going to ask for advice on what to wear and dress my kiddies in for a week at the snow. It is our first time actually skiing and I have no idea what to pack. We are currently still in boardies and thongs in North Queensland so I'm definitely bracing myself.......Any cold climate advice would be much appreciated!! Also should I buy a toboggan when we first get to NZ for the kids to muck around in or is it not really worth it? If so where do I get them from?

Cheers guys! :)

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,304 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to Pack????

Hi Mel, over this way thongs are rather skimpy knickers - I think you might find thermals more the way to go ;)

Best to dress in layers - so merino thermals then a light fleece or more merino then a warmer fleece followed by jacket. Take a look at the weather website which helps with layer numbers www.metservice.com/towns-cities/queenstown plus of course hat, gloves, scarf and warm woollen socks (treat yourself and get some merino/possum socks, they are fabulously warm). Queenstown is a very casual town so leave the good wardrobe at home - warm and comfortable is the way to go. You can be all in black - or multi-hued - it's all good.

Despite the cold the air is very dry and so if you keep active you will soon find yourself shedding layers. Many first-timers in Queenstown get a headache - they are dehydrated. Drink water constantly, plus your skin will become dry. Use a good quality body, face and lip moisturisers and constantly re-apply for you and the kids. You will also need a strong sun-block and good quality sun glasses. The lack of an ozone layer means strong sun, even in the snow where the glare can burn your eyes.

No need for a sledge/sled/toboggan - the kids can go tubing up the ski slopes on the specially made runs.

Happy packing :)

Mackay
Level Contributor
31 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to Pack????

Haha thanks Wanaka....invaluable tips about dehydration...thats much appreciated! I'll leave the JANDALS at home hey??? ;)

Surrey England
Level Contributor
2,329 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to Pack????

Are thongs the Aussie version of Jandals,the Kiwi version of what we Brits call sandals?

We speak the same language, but again--we don't!

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
32,579 posts
332 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to Pack????

Mummygaot, thongs, aka jandals are NOT sandals, they are what you Brits call "flip-flops" I think. The brand name was invented by a kiwi manufacturer years ago combining Japanese + sandals from the wooden sandals worn by Geisha!

Level Contributor
185 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to Pack????

great tips wanakalakes!

I am thinking of thermals as well!! only just over 6 weeks to go!!

xxx

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
329 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to Pack????

WanakaLakes has some good advice on dressing the kiddies (and yourself!). I would start with a merino / woollen / polypro t shirt (sometimes gets hot in the snow on a sunny day) then at least 2 more layers of wool or fleece. Make sure the outer jacket layer is at least water resistant, or better water proof, especially for the kids. I use my goretex type rainjacket as an outer layer, along with my waterproof overtrousers - good if you spend a lot of time falling over like I do! A lot of the ski hire places can do jackets and trousers etc.

Don't forget thick woollen socks, a hat, gloves and sunnies.

7. Re: What to Pack????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:17 pm, June 25, 2013