We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jucy Car Rentals, "el cheapo" range!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1 post
63 reviews
Save Topic
Jucy Car Rentals, "el cheapo" range!

Hi Tripadvisors,

We are thinking of renting a car for 5 weeks in Christchurch NZ and travelling to Auckland. Jucy Car Rentals have given us a great price for a car in their "El Cheapo" category. However, we are a little nervous about this and wondering if any of you have any experience of this? We drive a 10 year old car ourselves, so not terribly fussy re appearance!

Best wishes,

Catriona

Henley-on-Thames...
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Jucy Car Rentals, "el cheapo" range!

I am still waiting for a partial refund for the car that I rented in October 2013 in auckland. I booked online with Holiday Autos, paid for a car less than 5 years old and was given a wreck of a car, Nissan Sunny over 15 years old, dented, rattled, over 100k on the clock and no obvious airbags. Neither Juicy or holiday autos have offered me a partial refund so I have taken my complaint to external agencies.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,090 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Jucy Car Rentals, "el cheapo" range!

Holiday autos are I assume a broker operating out of the UK. Unfortunately your complaint lies with them as your are their client and not a client of Jucy. It may sound a bit double dutch but this problem has arisen many times before especially with European travellers using brokers instead of dealing direct. You are a client of the broker who is a client of the rental company. If a problem arises you the hirer need to sort it out with the broker and experience tells me you have two shows in hell of getting a favourable result.

What the broker tells the client and what the deal is with the rental firm are often at odds.

I feel sorry for your plight but don't see a result unless your broker comes to the aid of the party. Jucy may well be an innocent victim here.

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
349 posts
Save Reply
33. Re: Jucy Car Rentals, "el cheapo" range!

Car trawler? Is the motto "we dredge the depths"?

Bean, do you not think that Jucy have a responsibility to ensure that their agent advertises their vehicles correctly and/or that they supply what they have told their agent that they will supply?

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,090 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Jucy Car Rentals, "el cheapo" range!

hike and dive what we don't know is what was advertised, what was promised. WE do know from the OP that what was delivered was a vehicle in the "El Cheapo" range. In defence of Jucy, they are not alone in this practice. All companies that use third party brokers and especially brokers in Europe at some time seem to run foul of someone overpromising and the company in NZ apparently under delivering. In nearly all cases it is the poor paying customer when something goes awry who end up suffering by either not getting what they think they paid for and what actually gets delivered. Another scenario is when a customer gets their credit card charged in NZ for some problem, accident, traffic fine whatever and they wish to disputer to charge. My experience is that nearly all companies refer the customer back to the broker who in again nearly all cases doesn't want to know. They have clipped the ticket and moved on. I can only assume that they adopt this practice because the amount of repeat business is minimal. In years past when internet was in its infancy and there were no forums like TA around then the use of brokers was probably a good idea to at least minimise risk. With all quality car rental firms, and I include Jucy in this category because they meet a need and target a particular clientele, having their own on line presence and on line booking capabilities the need of third parties to clip the ticket is in my view superfluous to a great holiday.

Unfortunately no matter how much and how often we repeat good advice on forums like TA and others there are going to be those who first input into the relevant forums is to complain that in their opinion they have been ripped off.

Its not just car rentals where this is happening, it occurs regularly in the timeshare and holiday forums and many other forums where the uninformed in planning their holiday thinking they are doing the right thing still get burned.

Despite reemphasising again and again the fact that it is better to deal with companies direct rather than 3rd parties particularly when hiring a rental car I don't know there is much more we can do.

Dunedin, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Dunedin
Level Contributor
2,342 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Jucy Car Rentals, "el cheapo" range!

Brokers are just that, not agents for the rental car company - their job is to get the best deal for the renter. They can make deals look fantastic by promising a particular vehicle, but not asking for that vehicle from the rental car company - which may well be what this particular broker has done here.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
327 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Jucy Car Rentals, "el cheapo" range!

NZBarry, my experience with brokers is that they are there to get the best deal for the broker!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
11 posts
Save Reply
37. Re: Jucy Car Rentals, "el cheapo" range!

How about GO Rental?

Are they better than Jucy?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
53 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: Jucy Car Rentals, "el cheapo" range!

I have found that Apex are the better to deal with. We have used Go rentals, and were excellent 5 years ago, but have changed a few things regarding insurance and such. Juicy wouldn't accept our credit card when we arrived as it is apparently a Debit/Credit card, even though it has been used before for the same reasons.

So, don't get caught out with that.

BTW, to all those who mock the old Nissan Sunny....it has a bigger boot than the larger sedans, runs on next to no fuel, and will climb any hill at a snails pace.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,090 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: Jucy Car Rentals, "el cheapo" range!

A debit card is like paying cash so if using a debit card to pay for a rental car expect to pay an additional bond often several thousand dollars and then be prepared to wait several weeks for a refund. Not all car rental companies operate like this but there are sufficient out there to be wary.

If renting a vehicle and you don't want to fork out lots of money up front get yourself a credit card. If you don't like having a credit card cut it up when you get home and treat the annual fee as part of the holiday costs

40. Re: Jucy Car Rentals, "el cheapo" range!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, November 22, 2014