We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

December 21 - 23 or December 24 - 26 in Queenstown?

Which Queenstown hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
TN
Level Contributor
492 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
December 21 - 23 or December 24 - 26 in Queenstown?

Rethinking our SI itinerary. Originally planned to be in Queenstown December 24,25, 26. We will do some short walks while we are there. Husband also wants to bungee, shotover swing, etc. Do you think it would be better to be in Queenstown the 21,22, 23? Less crowds right before Christmas?? If we change our dates we will probably be at Curio Bay on the 25/26 instead.

Queenstown, New...
Level Contributor
1 post
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: December 21 - 23 or December 24 - 26 in Queenstown?

Hello there, look: I think it won't make any difference whether you would be here in Queenstown from 21. to 23. compared to the dates over Christmas. My experience is that there will be more or less the same amount of visitors in town.

The 1 thing I would recommend is to consider that December 24. to 26. includes New Zealand Public Holidays. Not all restaurants and/or shops will be open and if they are, you might need to pay a surcharge on meals etc.

Even some attractions might not be operating as Christmas is considered to be a 'family holiday'. I have to say, our operation (Unforgettable Skippers Canyon tour) might be closed, too - we are still undecided.

I therefore would suggest that you compare both locations in regards to what is operating and have a back-up plan just in case you might need to have to bridge 'a downtime'.

Hope this helps :-)

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,491 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: December 21 - 23 or December 24 - 26 in Queenstown?

I don't think it depends so much on when is a better time to visit Queenstown, but rather on what you would consider a perfect Xmas day. If you are happy to self-cater and just completely relax, then I think Curio Bay looks like a great place to spend Xmas day.

If you want to try and find open activites and/or restaurants, then clearly you need to stay in a busy, built-up area such as Queenstown.

Queenstown, New...
Level Contributor
1,747 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: December 21 - 23 or December 24 - 26 in Queenstown?

I would go with Curio Bay for Xmas There will be very little to do in Queenstown on Xmas day, you can do your walks there.

Being in Queenstown just before Xmas will be better than after.

4. Re: December 21 - 23 or December 24 - 26 in Queenstown?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:43 pm, June 18, 2013