We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wotif mystery hotel in Queenstown

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
9 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Wotif mystery hotel in Queenstown

Hi,

My partner and I are going to Queenstown in mid July for 3 nights. I have been looking at accomodation and want to book before prices go up. I have been looking at wotif and note they have mystery hotels at a cheaper rate for the same star rating as the other hotels. I just wondered if anyone has used the mystery hotel function and if they have been satisfied with what they got/value for money?

Cheers

Sash

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,099 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wotif mystery hotel in Queenstown

I have used the Wotif mystery hotels in Sydney. We paid $A110 per night for 5 nights in a 4.5 star hotel with normal rates of $395 per night.

Be adventurous, mystery hotels generally give very good value. Once you have committed let us know the result

The hotel by the way was the Holiday Inn at the Rocks

Edited: 11:40 pm, April 01, 2012
New Zealand
Level Contributor
2,111 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wotif mystery hotel in Queenstown

I used the wotif.com mystery hotel for Bangkok - 50% off 5star hotel - it was great!! That hotel is now our company hotel of choice for Bangkok!

My niece did the wotif.com mystery hotel for Queenstown last year and ended up at the Kawarau Hotel (Hilton chain) - she said it was fabulous!

If the hotel is listed as 4star - 5star you really won't be disappointed!

Go for it!

Te Anau
Destination Expert
for South Island, Te Anau
Level Contributor
3,155 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wotif mystery hotel in Queenstown

I have a friend who took the mystery hotel package in Qtn. They also ended up at the Hilton. This is a fabulous hotel, and brand new, HOWEVER, it is not in Queenstown, it is at the Kawarau falls, which is on the Kelvin Heights Penninsula. There is a ferry which transports you to Queenstown, I don't know if there is a charge, or what the schedule is, but it appears to be fairly frequent. Apart from this, you would definitely need a car. With these reservations, I would definitely recommend the mystery hotel package.

Colorado
Level Contributor
245 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wotif mystery hotel in Queenstown

I'm in Qtown right now and booked tonight's accommodation thru Wotif. I ended up with the Millenium. I'm disappointed, especially after 2 nights at Pounamu Apts, which I can't recommend highly enough. Will post more details when I return.

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
9 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wotif mystery hotel in Queenstown

Hi Mellicon,

I'm disappointed I didn't see your response earlier. I booked earlier today for 3 nights in July and have gotten St Moritz hotel. The hotel has good feedback and I'm sure being a 5 star it will be excellent. I guess the main concern I had rather than necessarily which hotel it is, was more whether I end up with the worst room because of purchasing the most discounted rate.

Never mind, I'm booked now so will report back for anyone that sees this in a few months. Hope your night at the Millennium isn't too bad and you enjoy the rest of your stay in Qtown

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,369 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wotif mystery hotel in Queenstown

Hello Sash :)

Friends stayed at the St Moritz last year so I had a good snoop around while visiting them. I was impressed with the rooms, the food, the stunning views, the friendly staff and the bar - all truly 5 star.

And yes, your room might not be lake view but you can still enjoy the views from the comfort of the bar :)

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,099 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wotif mystery hotel in Queenstown

Shar did you take the mystery option and if so how much did you save?

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
9 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wotif mystery hotel in Queenstown

Hi beanb,

Your original comment of 'be adventurous' pushed me to go for it! I'm normally so conservative, gotta take some risk hey.

I paid $159 a night for the 5 star mystery option, this deal include a bottle of wine per night - doesn't say what though :) I guess part of being a mystery you don't know what you are going to get as from the comments seems like the mystery option has produced a few different results.

It def was a saving compared to the other wotif options. Same hotel is otherwise between $249-$259 per night for the nights I booked on wotif. I also double checked on the hotel's website as I have previously found booking directly can produce cheaper rates but that was more expensive also.

The only thing, and I won't know until I arrive, is I don't want to end up with a room looking on the concrete wall which is shown in one of the reviewer comments. But as I say, wait and see - I'm really looking forward to the few days away, we don't really go away, let alone stay somewhere flash and this is a surprise for my partner so I can't wait

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,099 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wotif mystery hotel in Queenstown

Cool

Tauranga
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Wotif mystery hotel in Queenstown

Hi, has anyone booked the wotif hotel in Queenstown around early July that is a 5 star for between $199 - $222 per night as I would love to know which one it is, many thanks :-)