We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shotover Jetboat

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
31 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Shotover Jetboat

Hi

Do people suggest that I book in advance a go on the Shotover boat while in Queenstown, or is it ok just to book that morning or the day before? Also, how wet do you actually get, i would like to take my camera but am concerned it may get covered in water.

Thanks

Aoraki Mount Cook...
Level Contributor
786 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shotover Jetboat

I've always just booked the day before. If it is a holiday weekend then look at booking a bit earlier.

Yes, you are going to get a bit wet. Don't worry about yourself - they provide you with rain coats. However a disposable waterproof camera might be a good thing.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shotover Jetboat

Hi - we did this last week. They don't let you take your camera in the boat...you are provided with wet weather gear, and they put your camera in a locker. No need to pre-book. They leave every 15 mins from the office in Queenstown, so just walk in and book and pay on the spot.

Hope this helps, Adrienne.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
57 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shotover Jetboat

I booked in advance, but didn't need to. There was plenty of room on my boat and as someone mentioned, they do these rides every 20 minutes. You can bring your camera, but you'll likely get it wet. Bring a disposable just for the boat ride.

Brisbane - Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Shotover Jetboat

Hi all,

how much is it to go on the ride and what website do you go to.

Thanks in advance.

Moro

La Mesa, CA
Level Contributor
41 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shotover Jetboat

We went instead on the Dart River boat trip at the suggestion of locals who had done both. We drove out to the Shotover and it had very little water and was a very narrow river, but pretty area, indeed. The Dart goes up into some very beatiful scenery and the river is a good bit wider, though shallow in March 2006. We enjoyed it a good deal, though it is expensive. More than $200 American for a couple.

They do give you rainwear if it's raining and a waterproof pouch for your cameras at any time.

We thought it was great fun, both couples of us traveling together, and would think anyone might. It was nice midway through to get out of the boat and have a little walk in the "rainforest region," although it was quite a short walk, to be sure.

There are two companies at the Dart River, one before you get to the river and one just on the river. We had reservations we made by mistake at the place in Queenstown (our accommodations hostess at The Dairy had recommended the other, but the names are still similar). When we drove past the first place we realized our error and went in. They called the others and cancelled for us without penalty and booked us on their boat.

They had room then without advance reservations, but they are recommended certainly. Just as othes said, day before or

early for holiday periods.

Enjoy.

Nice restaurant in Arrowtown for lunch. Saffron.

Ontario, CAN
Level Contributor
491 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shotover Jetboat

We went on the Shotover just this month and didn't require any advance booking...we left downtown Queenstown booking centre within the hour. It cost $198 NZD for 2 people - photos are extra and they will take pics of you and the boat. We were front row seats beside the driver and only had a "light" spray. The river seemed low, but the driver advised they only need 3 inches of water to operate!!

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,367 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shotover Jetboat

One of New Zealand's most famous inventions the Hamilton Jet was developed in this area and because of the shallow braided river systems of the South Island- there you are, a piece of useless information for you :)

Grimsby, United...
Level Contributor
475 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shotover Jetboat

This is the website for Shotover Jet Boats they also own the Huka Jet Boats.

www.shotoverjet.com

That's on my list of 'To Do' items!

Jewels

La Mesa, CA
Level Contributor
41 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shotover Jetboat

I failed to answer your question about taking pictures. According to the information we got when visiting the Shotover boat docks, you are told not to use your camera; then, they take some photos and you can buy theirs. A little extra income, I suppose.

On the Dart River runs, you are free to take as many pictures as you like with your own camera. The original company there, at least, doesn't take pictures at all. Not into that kind of supplemental income activity.

Drivers on both rivers turn the boats around 360 degrees several times for a little excitement. Differences mainly in the terrain. Shotover River; narrow, views of the sides of the mts next to the river; Dart, wide, long views.

singapore
Level Contributor
188 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Shotover Jetboat

Hi drjj,

Could you confirm if the tour you went on is by dartwilderness ? We were thinking of taking this tour and were wondering if you had any encounters with sandflies during the walk. Would appreciate your feedback as my skin is extremely sensitive to insect bites.

Thanks

dartriverwilderness.co.nz/Dart%20River/The%2…