We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Queenstown holiday?

Which Queenstown hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Queenstown holiday?

Hi. My partner & i, together with another couple are planning a trip to Queenstown in September. We are looking at Kingsgate Hotel Terraces, can anyone give me any feebback on this hotel?

Also, what attractions/ activiteis would you suggest?

Thanks in advance!

Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Queenstown holiday?

Hello.

I am not familiar with the hotel you recommended. My husband and I were in Queenstown in October and stayed at the Millbrook Resort which was phenominal. I can offer you suggestions on the activities however...

Do NOT miss the Shotover Jet Boat ride! This is a thrill beyond compare, especially when you can share the experience with friends as did we. Better than any high thrill ride and the beauty of the scenery is indescribable.

Bungy Bungy Bungy! This is where it all began, and if you have never bungied (like me) you have to say you did it here! We jumped from the Kawarau bridge (43m)just outside of Queenstown. Phenominal. Extremely professional operation, I felt very safe. I highly recommend spending the extra money on the DVD... great souvenir.

A really "cool" night spot was the bar called "5 Below" in the heart of Queenstown. The whole bar is constructed of ice. Benches,walls, ceiling, bar, ice sculptures, even the drinking glasses are made of ice. Admission was about $25 per person and included one drink (most are vodka based) and they offer you big eskimo jackets and snow boots to wear. It was fantastic. I recently saw it featured on the Travel Channel here in the U.S. don't forget your camera!

Get ready for a memorable trip. I cried when I had to leave... it is so beautiful!

Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Queenstown holiday?

Also...

We went water rafting which was really fun. We used the same operation where you take the Shotover jet boats. It was quite cold, but they do give you wet suits. It was my first time rafting, and the scenery was breathtaking. Bring a waterproof camera. There were waterfalls and wild mountain goats on the hillsides. You will love it. Enjoy!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Queenstown holiday?

Hi Kella. Thanks for all the advice.

I will definanlty give the jet boating & rafting a go, but not too sure about the bungy! I have a bit of a fear for it.

The Ice bar sounds awesome, will definantly check that out. Thanks for all your help.

Rangiora, New...
Level Contributor
268 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Queenstown holiday?

Hi

I can advise you about the Kingsgate Hotel. I wrote a revue on Tripadvisor about this Hotel. I suggest you read all the revues. My wife and I have stayed at a number of Hotels in Queenstown. We are hoping to stay at the Kingsgate in April. This in our experience is the best hotel in the area.

Durango, Colorado
Level Contributor
118 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Queenstown holiday?

I agree with the other posters, but also don't miss the ride up the gondola. The luge rides are fun and you can also tandem paraglide down for fantastic views and an adrenaline thrill.

I don't know much about the Kingsgate but you should probably do a search on this site and read the reviews of people who have stayed there. We stayed at the Scenic Aurum and were very happy with it (note: I'd definitely request and upstairs room at the Scenic Aurum; if your on the first floor, your patio door opens onto the street--we preferred the balcony).

Wanaka is not too far away and worth the drive.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
443 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Queenstown holiday?

Would recommend the Dart River Safari in Glenorchy, 45 mins. drive from Queenstown. It has the jetboating element incorporated with stunning scenery and surroundings. And the ride lasts much longer though not as thrilling as shotover. Best to check conditions in September though. try www.dartriver.co.nz

have fun!