We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pre Paid data Sim at Queenstown airport

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,855 posts
148 reviews
Save Topic
Pre Paid data Sim at Queenstown airport

Hi

Are there any telcos at the airport?

Or in the city? I need to buy a prepaid for my iPad to avoid exhorbitant roaming charges.

cheers

Wellington, NZ
Destination Expert
for Wellington
Level Contributor
2,333 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pre Paid data Sim at Queenstown airport

On the drive from the airport to Queenstown you will pass the Frankton Automart and a Shell service station. Both sell 2 degrees SIM cards. The Alpine Four Square in town also sells them.

2 degrees has a data SIM for $20 with 100MW already on it.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,855 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pre Paid data Sim at Queenstown airport

Thanks for the info weta!

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,855 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pre Paid data Sim at Queenstown airport

Hi

Just thought i would pop back in let others know that the 2 degrees SIM card only comes with 100MB for $20 but the big issue is that you can't just pop it in your iPAD and it works, You actually need to insert it in a phone first and then register on a computer. So I located the Vodafone store and thought to myself, I think they have a good name in NZ, unlike AU so I bought a 250MB card for $20.

Back to my hotel and even though I work in IT and am not technically challenged, I could not get acess, no matter what I did. Phone call to Voda and it took the tech at least 20 mins to get a connection.... all good until at least after 4 days when I ran out of data. Initially the store told me to come back when it happened and they would sort it out or reload it online. - nope, not that simple unfortunately.

Firstly it can't be done from in store, in fact when I rang the help desk, they advised that it can't be recharged at all within the month and I would have to go back to the store and buy another one. ( I thought about it but didnt want to spend anotehr 20 + minutes on the phone to gain a connection) Well since I was a friendly aussie tourist, the help desk lady said she would connect it for me.... all good..

.. but later on i noticed that in my Voda account, the terms said I would need to cancel the connection, otherwise I would have an automatic debit on my credit card each month. I made a mental note to do this at the airport before leaving QNT - why? well the card does not roam from overseas and the account can only be accessed from the sim in the iPAD....... and to top things off, Qantas decided to ensure we were last on the plane and I didn't get a chance to cancel it.

So now I have to try and call Voda from AU to try and sort it out.

Moral of story - never again, I'll look for an international sim for iPAD next time if possible.

Got a headache? me2, pity anyone who was not so technical!

Edited: 2:50 am, August 11, 2011
Queensland...
Level Contributor
405 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pre Paid data Sim at Queenstown airport

Thanks surfoz for this report. Given your experience I think I will have to survive without a connection in my iPad much though I would like one. According to their website you can buy an international browsing pack from telstra here in aust. $29 for 10MB! They can't be serious, can they - 10MB???

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,855 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pre Paid data Sim at Queenstown airport

I'm looking for a cost effective international sim for my next trip so will keep you posted if I find anything good.

If anyone is interested, here's the link to our hotel review

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g255122-d256…

and our favorite food joints

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g255122-i730-k4679…

Melbourne
Level Contributor
5 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pre Paid data Sim at Queenstown airport

Starbucks in Queenstown have wifi. for the price of a coffee and Mac Donalds (though I have never eaten the food in the last 30 years) is about 3km from CBD as well.

Skype is a good fallback from this

London UK
Level Contributor
2,562 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pre Paid data Sim at Queenstown airport

Nearly all local libraries have free internet terminals. Just walk in and ask if you can use a terminal.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1,320 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pre Paid data Sim at Queenstown airport

Thanks surfoz.

We are going to SI and Dec and are also considering a prepaid sim for our iPad in case we need to check out stuff on the internet while on the go. Looks like that is not going to be possible without headaches. We'll just have to restrict ourselves to wifi at the hotels. one or 2 of our hotel/motel provide free wifi, the rest charge between $6 to $15 per day. The most expensive I think is $6 an hour. I'm really surprise at how expensive mobile data is in NZ compared to Europe and US.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1 post
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pre Paid data Sim at Queenstown airport

I'm sorry that this reply comes a bit late. I have also been researching on prepaid (micro) sim card and data plan as I'm planning my trip to NZ in this November. Apparently, Telecom offers prepaid sim card for NZD 29.95 and one can further purchase a 500MB for NZD 20 or 2GB for NZD 50.

Hope this helps.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,855 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pre Paid data Sim at Queenstown airport

You need to be careful with telecom also. Make sure you buy the data as an extra from that $30 with of credit otherwise you'll be using it on the casual rate which is 10mb per day for $1 and then $1 per mb after that!!!!. You can do this via the mobile broadband section on the telecom website. Just read the fine print. For a short stay it should be fine and I am also considering it for my next trip in January.