We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snow Driving to Skifields near Queenstown

KT
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Snow Driving to Skifields near Queenstown

To save travelling costs, we are thinking of hiring a MPV (for 3 adults and 3 kids) to drive to & fro to Coronets Peak and even to Remarkables for 10 days of skiing. I have never driven on snow before, are the roads there safe?

If it is not a good idea for first timers to drive on snow, what are the cheaper alternatives...as taking a bus seems costly for a family of six. Help!

England
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Reply
21. Re: Snow Driving to Skifields near Queenstown

TAG36 - i really don't want to you to be put off a trip to the Remarks as the views are amazing and there are some good off-piste/hikeable runs if you are up for it. The blue runs are ok if they are all open - snow permitting. And there is a good park if anybody fancies a go. If you are there for 10 days then Coronet Peak will become boring, especially if the snow isn't great, (During my season it was nicknamed Concrete Peak and Coronet Creak) so what i reccommend is this:

If the weather has been nice for a couple of days, chances are the roads to the Remarks are ok, just be careful. They are just bumpy and unforgiving. I drove up there a lot (fortunately i had a 4x4) over the season i spent there and if you'd seen some of the cars in the car park you'd never have believed they would have made it! OR get the bus from the bottom of the Remarks Road, takes between 30-45 mins depending on the weather - that way you can keep your eyes shut!! Only kidding!!!

The road up to Coronet Peak is Tarmac and fine if a little slippy on snow days but you will need chains if driving up there on snow days.

So in my opinion do go to the Remarks but only go in a 4x4 or by bus. But whatever you do, don't NOT GO as you'll only regret it and it is worth it.

I'm sooooo jealous that you're going so pleasse let us know how it goes for you and while you're there check out Onsen Hot Pools near the Coronet Peak Ski Field road - it's THE place to relax those muscles after a day on the slopes!

As they say in NZ - 'Sweet As Mate'.

Mentioned in this post
Coronet Peak
Coronet Peak
1,292 Reviews
Queenstown, New Zealand
Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
110 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Snow Driving to Skifields near Queenstown

Hi TAG

I'm going to Queenstown again this year, and the drive up to the Remarkables is truely that, remarkable or is it remarkable that you actually get to the top, not sure which.

If you are careful and drive according to the conditions you are in much less danger of having an accident anywhere.

They do say that Coronet Peaks is named "Concrete Peak" and the Remarkables are called the "Unremarkables" but to ski at these places is great. We will go to Trebble Cone for a day this year as we missed it last year.

Just do it and enjoy the experience, it does seem frightening at the time, you'll regret it if you don't.

Regards

TF

KT
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
23. Re: Snow Driving to Skifields near Queenstown

thank you everyone!

appreciate all you feedback and suggestions.

am leaving for nz tonite for 2weeksof fun fun fun! will let you know how it went...

this is my fist time on trip advisor and it has been "real"... as they say!

KT
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
24. Re: Snow Driving to Skifields near Queenstown

Just got back from Queenstown and it was GREAT FUN!

I strongly recommend to all those intermediate skiers and snowboarders to ski/ride at the Remarkables as it is more challenging, has longer runs and a variety trails...

Coronet Peak is excellent if you are a beginner and you get good views of Queenstown from the top. But if it is a sunny day head towards the Remarks as it gets the best rays all day!

Thanks everyone for giving me valuable tips and feedback...took the advice, drove to C.Peak and took the shuttle (Snagbus...nice folks running it) to the Remarks. Ate at the Fergburger (yummy!) and Winnies and at Boardwalk. Did the Gondola LUGE, Puzzling World, Arrow town and the lot!

Basically we did almost everything you guys recommended. Thank all and Trip Advisor!

Mentioned in this post
Coronet Peak
Coronet Peak
1,292 Reviews
Queenstown, New Zealand
Fergburger
Fergburger
11,553 Reviews
Queenstown, New Zealand
Winnies
Winnies
1,714 Reviews
Queenstown, New Zealand
Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,192 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Snow Driving to Skifields near Queenstown

What about the bungy jump?

KT
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
26. Re: Snow Driving to Skifields near Queenstown

yes did that too!

.my kids were holding on to my legs begging me not to jump!

that was my 1st & last time for me..Got the tshirt!

KT
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
27. Re: Snow Driving to Skifields near Queenstown

yes did that too!

.my kids were holding on to my legs begging me not to jump!

that was my 1st & last time for me..Got the tshirt!

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,483 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Snow Driving to Skifields near Queenstown

Excellent TAG! Sounds like you had a fantastic time, thanks for sharing it with us.

29. Re: Snow Driving to Skifields near Queenstown

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:17 am, September 07, 2009