We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cruise or kayak Milford Sound?

Groningen, The...
Level Contributor
10 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Cruise or kayak Milford Sound?

I'm busy planning a 3 week trip through New Zealand and try to fill in the details.

I definitely want to visit Milford Sound but I would like some advice on how to spend the time:

- Option 1

Leave Te Anau early in the morning and join a cruise on Milford sound and back to Te Anau the same day

- Option 2

Arrive in Milford Sound at the end of the day, sleep there

Morning Kayak on the Milford Sound and back to Te Anau in the afternoon

Which option would you recommend? Or maybe a combination of a cruise and kayak?

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cruise or kayak Milford Sound?

No wrong choice here.

If the weather is stunning I would go with the kayaking

if the weather is marginal I would do the cruise

Don't let some rain stop you from doing the cruise, Milford in the rain is magical and the many hundreds of waterfalls stunning.

I would assess the weather a few days in advance and book accordingly.

Enjoy :)

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
407 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cruise or kayak Milford Sound?

I'd agree, both are great. Cruise will show you probably more of MS, kayak will take you closer to the nature, falls, animals etc. Also take into account if you are into photography. It probably isn't a very good idea to take expensive photoequipment on a kayak. One of the reasons why I took the cruise. But generally, both are fantastic.

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
6,802 posts
419 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cruise or kayak Milford Sound?

We have done cruise and kayak. Id definitely recommend the kayak with roscos. stay overnight at milford lodge and then do the early morning kayak.

they cater for all abilities and everything is so much closer, steeper and immense in the kayaks.

Groningen, The...
Level Contributor
10 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cruise or kayak Milford Sound?

Thanks for the replies!

I love photographing so I would love to be in Milford sound at sunset or dawn.

I think we will stay overnight in Milford Sound and if the wetter is good we will go for the kayaking! I have a waterproof case for my iPhone (for the basic pictures) and might take my SLR in a drybag.

We'll be there around 4/5 november, is it necessary to pre-book the kayak or cruise at that time of the year?

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cruise or kayak Milford Sound?

Best to pre-book the kayaking to ensure a spot.

no need to book the cruise - there will be a number of options at the booking office on the wharf on the day.

Hope for torrential rain overnight so the waterfalls are gushing in the morning sunshine :)

6. Re: Cruise or kayak Milford Sound?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, August 26, 2014